Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new rig? or quit complaining

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatrhino, Mar 20, 2002.

1. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Hello everyone. I'm in a punk band and have a Trace Elliot V-6 600watt head and a Mesa Boogie 2x15. I'm not too impressed with the V-6 sound and the cab is HEAVY. Now that I'm in another non-punk band, I need something thats not just loud but sounds great as well. I was think on this rig:

Acme B-4
    Sans Amp RBI
    Carvin DMC1000

With a pre-amp/power amp setup it is easy to upgrade plus the B-4 is about 50lbs lighter. I would think a rack setup with wireless and tuner already set up would cut down setup time on stage as well. So... should I get a new rig and use the V-6 as a back up or just get a lighter cab and quit my complaining. I just want to sound good, be loud, and save my back (at least untill I get a roadie to haul my crap:)). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh, and I have about $1400-$1700 to spend. Thanks in advance.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess would be that changing either the bass and/or the cabs will improve things more...YMMV though.

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Oh, i'm an idiot and listed the wrong amp its not the V-6. I own the Trace Elliot V-type 600H which is MOSFET powered and not tube powered like the V-6 valve head.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ah ok, I already wondered why you'd want to ditch such a fine amp.
    Still, try different cabs before you sell that TE, that amp is not bad.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ...and there's nothing wrong with a RBI!

I'd be looking at some of the more efficient cabs - check out Bag End.

6. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Do you think that adding the RBI to my Trace Elliot would give me a better sound? Instead of buying a power amp, could I just use the power of the Elliot?

7. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    also do you think the Bag End D-12D speaker, which handles 400W(800W peak) would be better then the acme? I hear its easy to underpower an acme. Would 2x12s be a good stand alone cab? I use 2x15 now and it has good projection but is WAY heavy. The bag end 2x12 is only 77lbs. Thanks.

8. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    A Bergantino or Epifani 2x12 would work great with that pre/poweramp setup.

9. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Anyone gig with just 2x12's or should I add a 2x10 or 1x15?