Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig Question - Multiple Instruments

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DonovanBankhead, Mar 23, 2003.

1. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    I've got an idea for a flexible performance rig. I'm wanting a PA set-up that is portable, and that I can use for guitar & bass. Here is what I had in mind:

A rack w/the following components:
    (1) Line 6 Guitar POD PRO
    (1) Line 6 Bass POD PRO
    (1) Acoustic Guitar DI
    (1) Power Amp

And then for enclosures something like two 12" enclosures, or maybe a 2X10 or 2x12 guitar or bass cab?

Is this possible? Any suggestions?

2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I've been working on this kind of a setup for a while as well.

the preamp(s) you use will really depend on what kind of tones you're after. Look into sansamp stuff, though. A PSA-1 could do you for both bass and guitar. I'm into super-clean tones, so I can get away with a Raven Labs preamp for acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass! You'd need an effects unit as well, though. Maybe an EQ as well.

SansAmp RBI rackmount will also be highly recommended here, but it's not great for guitar.

For enclosures, look into Acme and Euphonic Audio. Both are "hi-fi" meaning they won't color your sound. Acme's probably the flattest out there. A pair of B1's or B2's would do well for a PA. They need lots of power tho. I got a Stewart PA-1400.

DON'T try and use a guitar enclosure for bass!

3. Have you thought about getting powered PA speakers? Carvin makes one for I think $300 that is 300w. That way, you can skip getting seperate power amp and loudspeaker.

4. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    That's a good idea about the powered PA speakers. I work at a music store, and we are a Peavey dealer. I'll look into that tomorrow.

5. When you do could you tell me about them? I'm sure they'd be real cheap (maybe cheaper than Carvin?), anyways, I'd like to know about them, thanks.

6. Powered PA speakers won't give you much in the way of sub-bass. Just something to keep in mind.

7. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I was looking into powered PA speakers -- most are no good below 60Hz or so, so you lose your low end punch. That's why the acmes are so good.