New Rig recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeluch, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I am looking at moving up from my Ampeg b100r to a head cab setup. I was thinking of a GK backline 600 or a GK 400RB4 with a Schroeder 1210 or 1212 cab.
    I play mostly 4 strings, clasic rock, and want a portable rig. I am interested in feedback from this site since I am an old geezer :help: that has not kept up with the times. Any other recommended setups would be appreciated. Thanks!!
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    If you like the GK's, I'd suggest a 1001RBII. At $600 brand new, it is a whole lot of head for the money, and not really that much more than the backline 600.
  3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Keep the B100R; you can always leave it at a practice space and not have to move any gear.

Buy stuff that's small and light (1x12's or 2x10's) and let the kids carry the 8x10 cabs.

Hartke has some nice heads on sale at AMS.
  4. mikeluch

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    cheezewiz , thanks for the reply, I left some info out of my original post.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I second the 1001RB-II if you like the GK sound already. Put it on top of one of their Neo 212 cabs and you'll have a pretty easy to move rig that should get the job done for most applications.
  6. mikeluch

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Tash, I have not played thru the Neos. How would they sound for the more "classic tone". I really dont like the sterile sound I hear out of some of the set ups. I play mostly finger style, not much slap. Thanks for the feedback.
  7. If you're buying a new cab, why settle for a Backline 600?

Schoerder's are a bit of money. Are you sure that's what you want? The concensus is that they sound amazing, but I bet you a 2x10 from Avatar with do the respectable job at half the price. Take your options into full account.

I would recommend nothing less than a GK 700rb.

I hope you end up with a great rig, man.
  8. If you somehow end up looking at a used 1001rb make sure its the 1001rbII....the older ones had problems.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want to get a kinda vintage somewhat tubey sound, I'd check out Eden. Their heads are pretty lightweight too. Or maybe Ashdown. Those heads sound pretty vintage if you need and are pretty lightweight. For a cab, you can't beat Schroeder for size to volume.
  10. You can get a more classic sound out of the neo cabs by rolling off the treble, but if you just want to set everything flat and get a nice classic rock sound, the 115SBX is great for that. If you want classic with a bit more punch, go for the 410SBX. Actually a Backline 600 with a 410BLX will give you a great classic tone.
  11. Euphony Penguin

Euphony Penguin

Aug 15, 2005
    I got my GK 400rb-IV for like $480 or something like that, I now look back and wish i had purchased the 700rb, only a couple hundred more for much more power and better features. The backline series has a very nice overdrive channel, but thats the only thing that I like from that series over the RB (pro series). It all depends on what you will be using it for really, differant music styles demand differant things.. overall I think you picked a good brand in GK, if you think you may need the extra power and bi-amping hoosamajig go for the 700rb by all means, but the 400rb-IV does me just fine playing up against a very loud drummer and guitarist using a 4x10 cab (8x10 at times) at band practice.

As for cabinet, what you have there sounds good to me, my experiance with the scheroder cabs is limited, but many people here seem to love them. Personally I'm a 4x10/1x15 set up kind of guy.. Using GK 400Rb-IV into an Ampeg 4x10 (I dislike GK 4x10s) and GK 1x15 gets me the sound I prefer, a low almost boomy smooth tone that can punch out the super high notes and finger tapping, you should find a guitar center, or music store in your area with this sort of stuff and test it out, thats the best recommendation I could give you.