Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cannibal, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    I currently have Peavey Nitrobass head (450w 2ohm, 300w 4ohm, 160watt 8ohm) connected in parallel to a 1x15" Eminence Kappa 4ohm speaker cab and a 2x10" sheffield speaker 4ohm(Peavey 210tvx) cab. Now I really don't get alot of this impedance and SPL stuff, so go easy on me here...

I'm looking to sell my rig and go for something newer and more powerful but with a quality finish! It wouldn't also be so bad if it wasn't quite as large, my stack is almost as tall as me. Money is an issue and i'll looking for something with a good range.

I looked at the Behringer power pack, consisting of a BX3000T Ultr bass head (300watt @ 4ohm) a BA410 (4x10" 1000watt apparently 40hm) and finally a BA115 (1x15" 600watt 8ohm) because of its extremely good price. Would this be any louder? Does mixing the ohmage make a problem?

BA410 info
    BX3000T Head
    BA115

Anyone have a good setup they can advise on? I think Harkte and Ampeg are out of my budget range :crying:

I have a 5 string Ibanez EDC715 and I play a lot of rock/metal so it's got to handle distortion.

Thanks all,
    Joel.

2. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    HI Joel!
    I wouldn't mix the impedances. The result will be that one cab (the 4 ohm) will get more power then the other. On top of that, with those 2 cabs on that amp, the resulting impedance will be lower then the Behringer amp can handle. You'll blow it up.

No, I don't think it will be any louder then your current setup. Don't you like the 210TVX? I'd keep that one, add a 410TVX and a more powerfull head. Second hand PA power amp probably.
    (6) 10s commin' at'cha, gotto cut thru!

3. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    Hi!
    So keep the 1x15 and get a 4x10 (losing teh 2x10) ? or keep the 2x10 and get a 4x10 (losing the 1x15)? Then upgrade the head?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Joel.

4. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I'd keep the 2x10 and add a 4x10. I must say that this will become a big and heavy rig. But you play rock/metal, so the 10"ers are usefull to punch/cut thru.
    The 10"s of your 2x10 will stand a bit higher, and with 450 watts from your nitrobass it may be enough. If not you probably want to replace your amp. Not all bassamps can run (2) 4 ohm cabs. The Peavey FireBass 700 can. And most power amps. Like this Yamaha.
    http://www.andysmusiconline.com/product_p/p2500s.htm
    Note that you need a pre amp with the last one. How about an Ampeg. ;)

5. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    Will I lose the low frequencies with a 4x10 cab? Will it still be punchy?

...and if I was to start from stratch what would you suggest?

Thanks for the replies, I think i'm getting somewhere :)

Joel.

6. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    The 410TVX is full with lows. And I think you'll gain in that stomach splitting punch.

From scratch?! Hehehe. I could make a huge list for you right on the spot. But what's the budget?

Edit: And where are you from?! Also important.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Let me just get one thing straight. You want to "upgrade" from a Peavey Nitrobass head to a Behringer??? That's no upgrade my friend. I say keep the head you got (or look at something else other than the Behringer. I'd look at other cabs for sure as yours sound kind of bastardised (no offense, but most homemade cabs like our 1x15 usually are not tuned properly). Sounds like you are on a bit of a budget, but some high quality cabs at a nice price are:

Avatar (prob the most bang for the buck of any cab)
    Low Down Sound (good reviews)
    Dr Bass (also good reviews, not too much higher than Avatar in price).

DO NOT BUY, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY anybody's "value" line of cabs like GK "Backline", Hartke "Transporter, SWR "Workingman's", Carvin, etc. These cabs generally speaking suck and use lesser quality speakers than a Avatar or Dr Bass and also use MDF or particle board vs void free birch.

8. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    I'm in the UK...

Budget would be around £800 (1150 Euros)...

EDIT: Quadzilla', maybe you're right it does seem a bit rediculously cheap and the guy I spoke didn't seem to know much about it, i'm kind of fed up with Peavey because i've blown two 4ohm Peavey Black Widow speakers, hence why I have a 15" Eminence in there at the moment. I would rather replace the lot I think, and step up to something of a greater quality but as you can see I'm no expert and I do sorely need the help of people like you and MBIYF.

Joel.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Avatar now ships to Europe using a thrid party shipper (call them for details). Dr Bass and others may also.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I fully support all of Quadzilla's comments, above. Your existing setup is superior to the Behringer gear, IMHO. I had a 210TX for years, and it is a great sounding cab. I think most people considered the 210TVX to be a slight improvement, even. The Nitrobass head is also nothing to sneeze at. You might want to just try throwing a 410TVX underneath the 210 and stick with the Nitrobass. This would be a respectable all-Peavey setup.

If you lived anywhere near northern Ohio, I'd be willing to sell you a modified Peavey 1820 that would go great with your 210TVX. I used it with my 210TX for years. I had a metal grill made that matches the grill on the TX series, and the two look great together, now. Then after repeatedly blowing Peavey speakers, I tried a Madison Executioner (1,000 watt RMS) 18" instead of the Black Widow. OMFG!!! Huge improvement! Incredible low end. Then, I swapped out two quality Selenium 10" speakers for the two Scorpions. Another marked improvement in tonal balance, clarity and articulation. But I digress... This cab is too heavy to ship anywhere, but again, if you were in the area, I'd let it go cheap.

Back to your situation, though, unless you have a significant budget to work with, I would stick with the Nitrobass and 210TVX for now, and find another cab to throw under the 2x10.

Tom.

11. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks guys, you're making a lot of sense... Maybe I should just stick with a new Peavey 410TVX 4 Ohm and put the Peavey 210tvx on top. It's just so hard to know whats worth it's money until you have it on stage! Anyway you guys are stars...

Thanks,
    Joel.

12. Cannibal

Cannibal

Feb 17, 2005
    Just as an update, I managed to get hold of a Peavey 410tvx over the weekend and really does rip up the 15" I used to have, much much louder! Only problem is it weighs a ton!

Thanks again to the Gurus!

Joel.