Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Aug 29, 2003.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I just got my Bergie HT322, and a Stewart World 2.1 Power Amp. For the short term, I decided I will use my Eden WT400 as a preamp for this setup.

After experimenting a little bit with bridged vs. stereo mode, I decided that for most situations running the Bergie off of one channel of the 2.1 (650Watts RMS) was sufficient.

Had my first gig yesterday with the new gear. Fairly large open outdoor space. First off, I had plenty of volume with the HT322 (no other cabs and no PA support) running off of one channel of the 2.1. I wasn't even close to turned all the way up.

My drummer was absolutely blown away by the sound. He couldn't get over how full and clean the tone was. He was talking about it more than I was.

I was thrilled. Because it was a big area, I got to stand way out in front of the thing and really feel the waves develop. Even in the wide open outdoor space, this thing was spitting out sound that was absolutely tight, focused, punchy, and very warm and smooth.

It is a little scary how accurate and responsive the thing is, though. You better be ON, cause every little thing you do on that bass is gonna come through.

We'll see. First test passed beautifully. Tonight and Tomorrow I have a couple gigs with my other band in very different indoor settings, so I will see how the new rig performs there.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stewart and Bergantino is my favorite sound too. :) I nearly wet my drawers when I heard Bergs up @ Rudy's in NYC. The real test was using 'em at a gig, and that's when I did wet my drawers (j/k!)

Like you, I've found that just one channel on the Stew is sufficient. I've never seen it hit red, and can only recall yellow (-3dB) on one occasion. If I ever need more, I can bridge!

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    OK, I got to try this rig indoors on gigs Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

Friday night, I was having a little trouble getting dialed in volumewise during the first set. I am not used to having so much power at my finger tips, and I didn't want to be overpowering my bandmates. We were set up in tight quarters and that made it so I had to play practically right on top of my cabinet. This made it very hard to hear myself. Lesson Learned.

Even with the slight troubles, I got lots of compliments on my sound from various people at the gig, including my bandmates.

Saturday was much better, as I knew from Friday's struggles how to tweak the various gain stages better, to get the sound I needed for the room. I also set up my cab as far back behind me as I could (6 feet?), and all my problems were solved. I could hear everything perfectly, and the gig went really well. Again, lots of positive comments from musicians in the audience on the sound/tone. Very cool.

I absolutely love this new rig!!! I have another outdoor gig this coming saturday. Can't wait. Outdoors, I can really open this thing up and make it sing!!!

Overall, I can't imagine ever wanting another power/speaker setup for moderate to larger volume gigs. The tone out of this setup is unreal. Way better than I probably deserve. There is more power at my disposal than I will likely ever need, which means lots of clean headroom.

I was really scared about using the eden head as a pre, but it sounds great to my ears and everyone else's so far.

Eventually, I want to use the WT400 for more mellow settings as part of a lightweight mobile setup. At that point, I will get a "true preamp" for the 2.1 and HT322. I will also trade my Eden 212 for a decent 1x12, or 2x10 when I get around to it.

Thanks to all of you folks around here for the advice and comments when I was shopping for a new rig.

Side note: so far, I don't even remember my Stewart getting noticeably warm, even after heavy use of 6 hours at a time.