new rig setup choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lockout, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    For about a year and a half now I've been playing an Ibanez EDA905 5 string bass on a Hartke Kickback 12 Combo amp (120watts). It sounds decent at low volumes, but as the volume increases, the sound quality starts to get really bad. And now that I'm playing with a group of guys, I need something that sounds really nice at relatively high volume.

Personally, I've always loved SWR amps. I like the way they sound, and I like the way their EQ/controls are set up. So I was thinking of getting an SWR Workingman's 4004 head (400W @ 4ohms) and the 4ohm version of the SWR Goliath III (4x10, 700W). This will probably end up costing between $1200 and $1300,(possibly cheaper if I can find them on E-bay or something.)

I'm pretty much set on going with the Goliath, but I'm not so sure about the 4004. Would getting an SWR 350x be a better decision? (ie worth spending $200 more?)

What I'm wondering is would this be a good setup? Would it work well in my situation? Or should I go with something else? I play mostly rock/metal, but sometimes I like to play other types of music.

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I think the 350x or an excellent used 350 or 400S would be a better choice. Particularly if you can find a good used 400S. It offers much more EQ flexability, a tube pre-amp, two-channels, electronic crossover and the ability to bridge it at 500 RMS. I've played the one I have (bridged)through a Goliath 4-10 and it sounds great!:)
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'd go with the 350X over the 4004. I have tried both, and preferred the 350.
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    The 350x sounded really... cold to me. Couldn't sound warm if I tried. This was at GC though... and you know those floor models.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    What about a Bass 750?
    From the specs and reviews, it seems nice...Looking around online, it looks like I could probably find one for around $500-600, anyone have any input on it?

The only problem I see is that the Goliath III can handle 700 watts RMS, but the Bass 750 puts out 750 watts at 4 ohms. Would this be overpowering the cabinet a little too much? or can the Goliath handle it safely?
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I wouldn't be concerned about that.
  7. I think the 750 would be your best bet.Even at 8 ohms it would have plenty of power.That way you could get an 8 ohm Goliath and and be able to add another cabinet later if you need one.One Goliath should be loud enough for most gigs though.
  8. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    If I got the 4 ohm Goliath, wouldn't I still be able to get another 8 ohm cabinet eventually? The impedence would be 2.6 ohms, which the 750 can still handle apparently. (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not too familiar with this type of thing.)

Are there any disadvantages to having a setup like this?
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    That setup will make the amp have to work harder, and one cabinet will be louder than the other. If I were planning on having more than one cabinet, I would get 8 ohm cabinets.
  10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Ok. I had one other question.

Since I'm using a 5-string, will the four 10" speakers handle the low B well enough?

Or should I plan to buy a 15" cab later on? (Son of Bertha?)
  11. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i have the swr 810 and it handles a low b quite nicely... even if i'm just using the bottom 4 speakers... some people will disagree, but the tens have plenty o bass end for me.
  12. I think it depends on the 4x10. Some 4x10's handle lower frequencies better than others. A lot of it has to do with the frequencies they are made to run at. I know this one guy that uses the SWR Henry the 8x8. And it works fine for low frequencies.
  13. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Well, I think I've worked out a deal with my parents, and I may be able to get myself a 750x for rather cheap.

How does it compare to the Bass 750? Is it better? or about the same? I basically have a choice now, to get a slightly used Bass 750 from E-bay, or a new 750x for around the same price.

I'm guessing I should go for the 750x then, right? :D
  14. in my experience, 4004=bleh. Idk i didn't care for it about 4 or 5 months after i bought it, but thats just me.
  15. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Sorry for bringing this thread back to the top again, but I was wondering something.

With the current setup that I'm planning to buy, I'll have an SWR 750x, and a Goliath III 8ohm. I was planning to possibly add a Big Ben (18" sub) in the future. Now, since I can't biamp with the 750x,(right?) will the 18" speaker try to play the higher frequencies and end up making the sound all mushy? Or does it do a good job keeping up?

I personally haven't heard a big ben, so I don't really know... those of you who have some experience with it, can you tell me if this will work out okay?

Or is there another swr cabinet I could get that would give me really powerful low frequencies to go with my goliath?
  16. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002

c'mon guys, I need your help here :(
  17. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The 750/750x is a mono amp, and the 750x as far as I know is the 750 with overdrive and octave effects built-in.

I have a Hartke Kickback 12 and I know what you're talking about... it's not a rock amp. The 750/750x plus the Goliath should be enough of an improvement that you probably won't be wanting another cab for a long time.
    The Big Ben is regarded as one of the more punchy/less muddy 18's out there.
  18. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Well, I hope you have a big vehicle to move the stuff!

The 750x will put out 750w into 4 ohms, which is what you'll get if you run those two cabs. The Goliath by itself will see 450w, as the "750" series of SWR amps puts out 450w into 8ohms.

Personally, I think the overdrive and octave effects on the -x amps are useless. I'd try to find a used (or new) Bass 750.

As far as sound goes, with that amp, you'll be running a full-range system, but the BB won't have much high end coming out at all, just due to the size of the driver. The tweeter in the Goliath should take care of cleaning up the high end.

I just checked out the BB at a local store (they have two older used units). While it does go low, it didn't seem low enough to me that I would get it instead of a second Goliath, if I found that one Goliath wasn't loud enough (highly unlikely). Unfortunately, the BB by itself sounds terrible--it definitely needs another cabinet to handle the mids/highs cleanly, unless you're playing dub exclusively. Still, the BB is pretty punchy for an 18.

With a 750 amp, though...look for 2 Son of Bertha 1x15's. The 750 amps will put out 850w into 2.6 ohms. This will also give you the flexibility of using one, two, or three cabs, depending on your situation.
  19. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I own two 750s. Great value after the 750xs came out.
    Get one with a fan early ones didn't have it. Great powerful amp. SWR doesn't recommend you run it at 2.6 ohms as this is it's least efficient opearating state. Rahon at SWR recommended the 8ohm Goliath III to me as it allows you to add another if necessary. The Goliath puts out serious usable 5 string low end. Sound guys are amazed. Some bassists get 15s and 18s because they think they need them. The note your are playing is twenty feet long and so you need a cabinet that coherently reproduces bass where we need it. The tech guy at Aguilar explained how they made cabinet that reproduce really low frequencies but it didn't sound good or musical.

SWRs sound good when the musics playing.
    Saw Tower of Power. Carlos Vega was sitting in while Rocco heals. 750x with 2 Goliath IIIs. Hello.