New rig soon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Yeah, so my (mostly) trusty Ampeg BA-115 isn't cutting it with my new band (I'm playing against a Mesa DC-10 and a Peavey 6505 half stack), so I've decided to move up a bit. A bit, in this situation, being up to 800 watts.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I'm getting a Kustom Groove 1200 head, and two Tech21 B410 cabs. Right now I'm pretty much waiting on Tech21 to build the cabs, which, as I understand it, will be this week, so hopefully I'll have the rig by sometime next week.

I was also looking at Gallien Krueger stuff, but I decided that with my band, a more old-school rock sound was going to fit better than a super clear tone. I think that the Kustom/Tech21 setup will give me a good sound that will work well for me.

I'll be sure to post pics and a review once I get it and gig/practice with it.
  2. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sweet dude. The Kustom Groove 1200 has some loyal fans on this board, not that that matters. I don't know much about those cabs. Why did you choose them?

4. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I know nothing about you're new rig, which sounds killer! But I've heard nothing but clear clean tones from GKs. Which amps did you try?
    Congrats on the new rig! Post pics when it comes in!
  5. It is ordered, and it should be in by the middle of next week. I'll get some pics up asap.

As for how I chose my rig, I work at a guitar shop, so I get some pretty awesome deals on the stuff that we sell, plus I kind of feel an obligation to play what I sell. So my choices were from Mesa Boogie (awesome, but way out of my price range even with my discount), G-K (again, very nice stuff, but ultimately not what I need for my band), Hartke (not bad for the money, but not what I wanted), Kustom, and Tech21.

I decided to go with the Tech21 cabs for a few reasons. First, they <i>don't</i> have tweeters, which works well for me because I play with distortion/overdrive pretty much all the time with my band, and I don't like the super sizzley high end. They're also quite a bit lighter than most of the other 4x10s that I was looking at. From what I've read, they have really good low end response as well, which is important to me because my band plays in drop C, so I need all the low end I can get. I've also only heard good stuff about them.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have been wondering about that Tech 21 cab. You have to give a review!
  7. OK, update: It's here. Sort of. It's at the shop where I work, and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'll post pictures and an initial review as soon as I can.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds good. Indeed the GK tone can be a bit too clean and modern for some people.