Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neutrino, Oct 9, 2005.

1. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    I just bought a Musicman Bongo and now it's time to start on the rig. I currently have a Laney 75watt 15" combo that just sounds lifeless - bland.

The problem is - I live in an apartment complex for the time being.

I want to build a pre / poweramp setup if possible - mainly because it's easier to upgrade as life changes.

What I'm looking for is something that sounds really nice at lower volumes for practice and get's "moderately" loud. I'm playing with 2 acoustic guitars at the moment - dave matthews type stuff. But, I personally like to play Live, Rage against the machine, tool, red hot chili peppers, metallica type stuff.

My budget is roughly 1200 - 1500 US for a pre/power and cab or head and cab and necessary cables.

Do you all have any suggestions or reccomendations?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Wait, are you looking for a rig to play with live or just for practice?

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Right around your budget is a Thunderfunk TFB420 at around $850 and an Aguilar 2x12 at $650.

Although it's not a pre/power combo, it would be a killer rig to start.

4. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    Ideally I'm looking for both a practice setup and a setup that I can use in a setup where me and some guys just jam (we don't really play live, just for fun). Does that make sense?

What I'm asking is probably very hard to achieve, but I was looking for something that sounds really good at low volume - where I can play/practice in my apartment and then also has enough power to it to mix well in my jam session.

My inital ideas were to purchase a BBE Maxx and a lower powered power amp and a Schroeder 1210, but I don't know if that pre would suite my musical preferences.

I apologize for asking such a normally asked newb question, but I really don't have the opportunity to go out and check different sounding rigs - i live in a musical wasteland. The nearest GC is like 4 hours away or more.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Do you rehearse in your apartment?

6. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    no, but I practice in my apartment by myself. When we all play together - we go to our guitarist's house.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well.... if that's the case, then you've neglected to think of 1 factor.

Portability

A pre-power rig (which is what I normally use) can get pretty heavy. Now granted, you have enough money to get one of those coveted lightweight power amps... but its still gonna be pretty heavy with a rack and all.

But if you're cool with that, then maybe you can go for it. However, based on the bands you've mentioned, I'd go with a tube head. You could easily afford a Traynor YBA200 and a Schroeder 1210 with $1500. I'm tellin ya.... I'm one of the cooks trying to chase down the "Evil Empire" tone... and the purchase of my V4B has really satisfied a lot of GAS. My only complaint is that it doesnt really have the power for "most" situations. The YBA200 has twice the power, and the 1210 is a loud friggon cab.

If you really wanna look into a pre-power rig, I'd recommend a PLX power amp, just because its 20lbs lighter than most of its competition.

8. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    I was kinda thinking a simple tube head would really sing - but I don't need anything crazy like a huge ampeg or anything - just something that will sing, but I don't know anything about them.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like the YBA to me ;)

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The problem is..... with pre-power, you're really looking at something that's going to be at least 800Watts bridged. And really, whats the bad part of that? The general idea that most bass players have is to "buy as much power as you can afford". If dont need it.... then just dont use it all. Simple as that. Because where the hell are you when that power runs short?

There's not much of a point in depriving yourself of the power... because it may well save you from having to upgrade in the future. And upgrading will only cost you more money down the line. If you're SPECIFICALLY looking for something to ONLY practice with.... I wouldnt be dropping $1500. That's the kinda money you drop on a "do-it-all" rig.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cabs: 2ea Aguilar GS112

and

Head: GK 1001RB-II (Highly recommended)

or

Preamp: Sansamp RBI
    Power: QSC RMX850
    Rack: Gator 4 space
    Plus either a tuner or power conditioner for the remaining rack space.

That's my $.02 anyway.

:D

Joe.

12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    some great combos at this link:
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/combos/index.asp
    i've played through a couple and they were LOUD but portable, also had
    tilt-back wheels built in.
    these are by the same company but less expensive:
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/nemesis/index.asp
    alot of people rave about them, but i haven't played them.
    and here is an amazing little amp:
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/walkabout/WalkaboutScout/WalkScout.htm
    nice thing is you can take the head out to use with other cabs.
    there is a passive radiator on the bottom of the scout cab,
    cool design and this amp gets a nice tube-type sound.
    alot of these combos are very high powered and there's lots of speaker configurations available.
    i guess my gut told me to point out this info to you
    based on the info about your situation in the thread.
    hope it helps
    cheers
    doug

13. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    ampeg pre $349

stewart $399

leaves plenty of cash left over for an SKB rack and cables. can be expanded if the band or your playing ever gets more serious. The power amp doesn't have a noisy fan for when you're practicing at home.... it's all light...

14. Seriously...for that cash you can buy a GK 100rb and a GK NEO 212.....super light cab and the rig sounds awesome. Don't worry about ever needing to upgrade it....SUPER LOUD and sounds great.

15. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    That's awesome that some of those rigs get stupid loud, but like TheChariot said - I need a "do it all" rig. With that said - will the 1001rb sound good at lower volumes?

16. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    With your current gig and for even better portability I'd go with a Schroeder Mini 12+.

You'll have a considerable amount of cash left over to pick a pre/power setup to your own taste. I personally dig my BBE BMax.

17. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    Mini 12 eh? I honestly don't care how big nor how small the setup is - just so long as it sounds good and I can play it anywhere.

Could I get some advice on amps to start checking out or pre/power setups?

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes, without a doubt.

And it souds awesome with 2 Aguilar GS112's. If you need one cab, you take one. If you need two cabs, you take two. A very efficient, modular setup.

Joe.

19. neutrino

neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Kentucky
    So you would go with the Aggy cabs over the Schroeder, or GK Neo cabs, or any other cabs for that matter?

20. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    To be honest I have not heard the Schroeder or Neo cabs but I have not heard anything but good about both of them.

I CAN tell you that the GK/Aguilar setup is awesome. There are actually several guys on TB that have the same thing or something similar.

The GK head also sounds great with my Bag End cab and my Eden cab. So I CAN recommend either of those to go with the GK head.

Joe.