Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new rig suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baba, Mar 20, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm shopping for a new rig. I have $2,000. I want either a tube preamp-->power amp-->4 10, or a head with tube pre to a 4 10.

I have an SWR combo now and love the hi-fi clean sound. However, like when I buy a new car, I want to try a different flavor amp.....but similar sound (i guess the car is a bad analogy).

I plan on carting my bass around and test driving rigs like mad for the next month or so, but can anyone offer suggestions to help me narrow down the search?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Since you like SWR, why not SM900 and a Goliath?

Another option would be to do something similar from Eden, WT800 and an XLT.

Possibilties are pretty vast.....

3. well you must try out some Ampegs :D I use an SVT3Pro with a 4x10 and 1x18 - my head is a couple years old, so there are newer models out now, and really nice new Ampeg cabs too. Go play a few.

Also I recommend you try out the Eden stuff, probably a bit more expensive than other brands - but play them anyhow.

If you can find some Mesa Boogie stuff locally, check them out too.

4. Personally i'm gonna tell you to go the route that i went. I recently bought an Aguilar DB750 and a GS410 cab. But i'll post a review on all that when i get it. I should be recieving it in like a week or so, and that's when i'll give Gard my praise to him too. ;)

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I would recommend a quality amp with at least 750 watts like the SWR Bass 750 or Eden WT800 and a good, ported 410 cab like the Eden D410XLT. Make sure you can deliver all the watts to the cab for maximum headroom. This will result in you choosing a 4 ohm or 8 ohm cab, depending on what you buy. Also consider upgrades. If you intend to add cabs later, take that into consideration.

OTOH, if I had to go out and spend $2000 right now on the most flexible best-sounding rig, I'd look for an Euphonic Audio iAMP 600 and a used Epifani T212. That's the rig I've settled on after playing through a LOT of stuff. Admittedly, hi-fi and not to every taste. But VERY clean and accurate. And quite "lugable."

Good luck.

6. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I just got a Mesa 4x10 to go with my Mesa M-Pulse 600. Tube preamp --> 600 watt Mosfet power amp section. I love it. I can get the tone I am specifically going for which is definitely more raspy than SWR can produce (IMHO), but can still get that cleaner SWR as well.

But, your looking at about $2100. Amp: $1300, Cab: $800.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've been dying to try the new Peavey Pro 500 head. It should be worth a try. It's being released along side the BAM head, which is incredible in it's own right. :)

[​IMG]

(link)

It could easily be matched with a:

[​IMG]

(link)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, this may seem a bit redundant, but if you ended up with an Eden WT-800 and a 4-ohm D-410XLT, you'd never go back to sheep. The onlyest thing you'd ever need after that might be another D-410XLT.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I recently did a mini-review of some high end amps and cabs, which included Bergantino, EBS, Ashdown, and Eden. Having previously played through EA (both iAmp and cabs), I already knew what they sounded like in reference.

My favorite of all these was the EBS for its hi-fi quality, loudness, and incredible headroom! But, one thing I noticed with all these that I tried was that Ashdown had a certain quality that reminded me of SWR...

Thus, I'd recomend you consider either EBS (HD350 and an EBS cab) or Ashdown. I think you'd be making a mistake by not at least TRYING them both.