Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig!!! + volume adjustment question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dhclark76, May 12, 2005.

1. dhclark76

dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    Hi, everyone. I'm a newer forum member and have been lurking for a while getting a feel for things. But today I've gone post crazy, mostly because I had to brag about my new rig.

Yup... it finally came today, a MAG 300w c210. Which I promptly placed on top of the MAG 115 cab that arrived the day before. I would consider this my first real amp after spending a couple of years suffering with a small 25w practice amp or plugging into my friends PA. As you can imagine I've spent all afternoon playing :hyper:

As I was practicing though, a question came to mind, which I tried to search for a reasonable answer to, but didn't feel comfortable I'd found an answer to... so here goes:

Currently, I'm in an apartment, so I have to practice at low volume frequently so I was trying to determine the best way to do this. The MAG has an input adjustment and an output. Which is the better one to adjust my volume with.

As it stands today, I was turning my input level as hot as I could just so I could watch the cool little VU needle jump around and keeping the output level very low. Will this hurt my amp or my drivers at all? Or, should I back off the input level a little and increase my output level? :confused:

Sorry for long post, but I don't want to damage the (new) goods.

Doug

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You might want to check out a Rolls Personal Monitor, PM350. I used to live in a condo. The neighbors really appreciated it. ;)

3. dhclark76

dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    Hey Joe, (I bet you get that a lot)

Thanks for the mention. While the Rolls is a good idea, the wife has drawn the line on any new gear for a while. Can't say that I blame her after the whole new rig thing. Luckily we'll be moving out to a place in the country in the next couple of weeks.

Actually, I guess my real concern is clipping. As I understand it the VU meter allows you to monitor whether you're too hot, so to avoid clipping. Because I'm a newb to real amps my question is: Am I clipping any time my input level is hitting the red, or do I really need to worry about how hot the input level is if I'm not turning the output volume all the way.

There is also a question of being able to overdrive the amp in situations where my volume isn't a concern. Or is overdriving the amp out of the question since this is a SS amp (in which case I suppose I'll have to use a Sans Amp or whatever).

Thanks

by the way... Is that Ocean Shores, WA?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The VU meter monitors clipping. If it is getting in the red, either turn down the input gain or turn up the output master volume (or turn down the bass). As for overdrive, the Ashdown should have tube "grind" which can achieve slight overdrive, but you should look into an effects pedal.

5. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    alittle in the red i thought was fine. when it pins in the red, you have a problem. Adjust your pre so the needle goes all the way to the top, or close to/just into the red, then adjust to post or master volume to suit the situation.

overdrive popular here is the sansamp bass driver
    boss and digitech work well also, but are pale in comparison

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Yep, Ocean Shores, Washington. I'm about 100 yards from the beach and 15 feet above sea level. So when the Tsunami hits we're history. :meh:

7. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    ... yea, but you're still safe from a few decades of glacier melting. I think it's about 22' ocne all the ice melts, but you prob'll die before you have to move .... ;)

8. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    is the VU meter connected in the same in both the MAG range and the ABM range? cos i heard that the VU breaks easily, and was wondering if the fragility was just restricted to the MAG stuff...

9. Plain Old Me: The Mag range does NOT have the tube "grind" input facility as it is totally solid state.

The VU meter is connected the same way on the Mags as the ABMs but I have run both types for years and have never had any problem with either.

You should run the Input level so that it "peaks"into the red occasionally (i.e. when you are "digging in" the hardest ;) ). Obviously,therefore, you need to avoid any situation where you are running with the needle in the red zone continuously.

So far as overdrive is cocerned, I have been running a SansAmp BDDI with my Ashdown Combo and Cab for years now and I can confirm thayt it is very much a marriage made in heaven IMHO. :D :D :D :D