Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig! Wooo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So, I pull in the driveway from a jam session, being tailed by a big brown truck. Pulls up behind me, and the UPS lady gives me my new toys:

Ernie Ball HD212 and a GK 700RB. I immediatly named them Lou and Pepito.

Lou is HEAVY. It's gotta be at least as heavy as my D-410XLT, maybe moreso. And no casters! I'm gonna get some, or make a cart for it or something.

Good news: :eek: the SOUND! It sound mindblowingly good through the Eden WT-300 and the 700RB. Deep, clear, and open. Handles everything I can throw at it with aplomb. No de-tuning yet, but that'll be in the testing phase too. It's a crying shame these aren't more popular. Now, next task is to power it and the XLT with the DCM1000, and see how they mate.

Pepito, now he's fun! very clean, and rubbery sounding. I got a Flea sound in like two seconds, and I'm still seeing what I can do with this thing. I haven't tried it through the XLT yet (that comes tomorrow), but it's a great match with the HD212. Makes me feel like slapping.

In a word: bitchin.
    In a few words: I really like this new setup. It's not really any more portable than the XLT was, but it's just as nice.

Good day...

2. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I am glad you like the rig and yes the HD-212 is heavy the G&L rocks I am going to jam session and I will taking my new toy

Best of Luck
    Harpo

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Glad you like the HD212. I got one of those, and it's little sister, the HD210. I need an amp to power these monsters, though. I REALLY need an amp :(

And yes, she is HEAVY at 96lbs:eek: The lil'sis is still a big honker at 64.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    can't wait to hear your A/B comparo...i'm looking at getting a pair of the HD 212's and running them with a sansamp rbi/poweramp rig.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OK, got all the A/Bing done, and here are the results(keep in mind I haven't put them to a band test yet). Test basses, Ibanez ATK, EMG equipped BEAD Ibanez 4 banger, both with rounds. (Essentially a Stingray and a P bass, if you will)

700RB+HD212: Clean and clear. I'm actually not used to the sound, because I'm all on the Eden gear, which has a lot of color to it. But, it's very usable. A little bright for my tastes (at least on the B string), but EQing the sucker molded it to my sound. Overall, I think it sounds just as good as any high end setup I've tried. Sort of an SWR type sound, kind of hi-fi. Slappers delight.

700RB+410XLT: Balances out nicely. Not to sharp, not to "muffled," and you can really get some nice sounds out of it. Actually, it sounds "like bass," in that it's plain. which is not bad at all. This is what I'd like to use crunchy and OD sounds on. It would lend itself to being "effected." Would do well in a rock or R&B setting.

Eden WT-300+HD212: At first I was thinking "dang, this cab is bright. Makes these dead strings sound brand new..." then I realized the EQ got out of whack when I moved it all around yesterday. :rolleyes: After getting the EQ back in order, it sounded great. Round, full, and just to the left of polite. It had balls, but not to the point of Ampeg raunch. This could cover just about any style.

HD212+XLT+700RB: Snappy rock. The XLT gives it thump, and the 212 gives it cut.
    HD212+XLT+WT-300: Flat out rock. This would be a great funk rig. Big, and kinda wooly. I dig.

Bottom Lines:
    700RB: Flea in a box. A little brighter than I'm used to, but works very well with the XLT, and gives the HD212 a bite (set flat) that's a wee harsh, unless you EQ it out. Matches an Eden cab very well. I would use this one with an Ampeg, Eden, Aguilar, or Ashdown. Maybe an Epifani for a clear, big sound.

HD212: Transparent. Really takes on the characteristics of the amp you set on top of it. I dig it's open qualities. I'd reccomend one to someone looking for volume, tone, and who isn't worried about weight. Might sound brittle with an SWR, EBS, or Trace amp. I'd suggest Eden, Ampeg, Alembic, Aggie or Demeter amp/preamps to go with this one.

Neptoon: an RBI would make you VERY happy with one of these.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    nice...if i'm lucky and i have some cash to spend, i may even look at an aggie db 659 pre-. or maybe an IOD...something that sounds great and has very few knobs. i'm an idiot and too much stuff makes my head spin, you know...sometimes it sucks being a 'tard.