Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phaneo, Dec 22, 2004.

1. phaneo

phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Ok here I go.....I am looking to get a new setup. I have been playing through a Hartke HA4000, Peavey 410TX and a peavey 1x15. I also have a Sans Amp BDDI and use it as a preamp. This was really all I could afford at the time, and it's worked well up to now. Anyway, I was playing metal for quite a few years and this was ok. I am now playing in a cover band playing 80's music. Billy Joel to Duran Duran, to Bob Marley. I need something that will be versatile. I need it to be low and smooth to bright and punchy. I play primarily with my fingers and slap on a few tunes. I was thinking a 2x10 cab with a 1x15. I'm not sure what kind of head I want. So anything is a possibilltiy. I need it to play small to medium size gigs. I don't want to spend over $2500 so ok...what are your suggestions.

2. Sell the Hartke and Peavey.
    Keep the Sansamp.

Pickup a GK 700 or 1001.
    As for cabs... My vote sits with Eden, Mesa and Genz Benz.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    try some bad end cabs, the S15-D, S15X-D, S12-D, D10B-D, and D10BX-D are all great alone (except for the S12), or in combinations. The epifani 310UL is also amazing, and i still think the epifani 212 and bergantino 322 are tops, as are the 1x12 cabs by both companies and by aguilar, but there are lots of great cabs out there. As far as heads go, there are so many options. I would say try to get something that puts out at least 200-400+ watts into the cabs you'll use.

if you're not sure how to do that, click here

You have a good budget, but don't be afraid to check out used to save some bucks and get as many watts as you can. Don't rule out a preamp/poweramp combination either.