New Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've been looking into a new rig to replace my old one. I want an all tube head, and will take any cab suggestions. Total price range is about $2400. I play mostly rock and metal and want something really loud.
  2. I suggest a used Mesa 400+ or an Ampeg SVT CL, for heads. As for cabs either an Ampeg 8x10 or 6x10, or Bergantino 6x10. There are a ton of others but those come up in my head right now.
  3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What are you currently using?
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Crown 1000 watt power, but my preamp just broke. Im playing through SWR 410 over Kustom 215.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    keep your power amp, get a ampeg svp-cl pre, bergantino nv610 and nv215. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    save up, sell your amp and cabs, and then get a crest CA9 power amp.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've run through tube preamps before, but it doesn't feel close to what I've heard from all tubes. I've been looking into Bergantinos, but about how much would the 610 run?
  7. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

I read somewhere that they go for around 900$
  8. +1, but all tube?! :eyebrow:
  9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mesa Powerhouse 810 and 400+. Depending on how much you can get the 400+ for. The Powerhouse 810 is pure insanity. Have to special order it from Mesa though. They run about $1500-$1600 new. They have one in stock right now (or at least they did last week), otherwise it's a 2-3 month wait. That'd leave you $800-900 for a head, which I think you could find a 400+ for around that.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've played through a friend's GK gear and wasn't impressed, maybe its just a bad model because the gear in a dealer sounded pretty good... I found a place that sells the Berg 610 for $1000, but I could probabally get up to $100 off of it. I've been really impressed with Berg gear, but I dunno how well it would cope with an all tube head...
  11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you are a 5 stringer, you won't be real happy with a full SVT setup. IMO the mid-bass bump isn't 5 friendly. If you're a 4 banger and you really want all the associated pain of owning a high power tube rig, then how can you go wrong with an SVT and the classic 8x10 bin ... been there, done that, got the tee shirt ... won't be going back ...

A good pre and way too much rackable, transistor power coupled with the right bins float my boat.
  12. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'd have to agree. Any of those amps/cabs would sound great. I have the 400+ and the 810, and it's great for rock.

Plain Ole Me, where are you located? ;)
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depending on your favorite tone:
    M-B 400+ or
    Trace Elloitt V6 or V8 or
    Ampeg SVT (one of the 300W)

either a one box does all:
    Schroeder 21012 , 410, or 3101212 (seismic activity warning)
    modular approach:
    Schroeder 1212 (pair) or 1210 (pair) or one of each

If you go Berg, for sure try out the NV215 (for the money you're talking about you could probably get the NV215 & NV610 -- that would smoke as well, I bet).
  14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    +1 on the Mesa/Boogie 400+
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I play a 5-string most of the time, and I live in Sacramento, CA. Theres dealers from most of the companies mentioned, but there isn't any Trace or Schrodinger dealer around. Also, I dont really like Ampeg cabs, but I do like their heads, so the Classic is an option, but if an SVT pops up used somewhere, thats definately the route im taking. By the way, how does the Trace V8 sound? For cabs, I'm going probabally Berg, but maybe a new SWR or Eden cab, or a combination of to of those companies. (I've been thinking probabally a Berg 610 + SWR 212 and just using the 212 at smaller gigs) I need to make the drive out to the local Mesa dealer to try out the 400+.
  16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Does anyone know how the SVT-II compare to the origional SVT?
  17. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If you are going to be "really loud" you need a preamp-poweramp setup. Neither the SVT-CL or the 400+ are loud amps. You will hear dozens of the owners of both of these heads on this forum saying how loud their rig is and how you would never need more power than that. I've owned three (3) SVT's, two old ones and one re-issue as well as a Mesa 400 and a 400+. They are all fine heads. But I hate to be so blunt here, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but neither one of these heads is "loud". Four Peavey CS800 power amps bridged is loud. A PLX3402 is loud. Even a RMX2450 in the bridge mode might be considered loud. But even those incredible and bigger than life 285 "tube watts" are not going to cut it for me. If you own one of these fine heads, and it works for you, I'm happy for you. However, if you need a rig that is "really loud" you might spend a lot of money and come up a little bit short. :D :D :D
  18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    For tube tone at high volume, nothing beats Ampeg. I say that as a person who generally shuns Ampeg. But for what you say you want, it's really the only choice.

And to Beets, man, every amp tops out. It's the law--sooner or later, it just don't get no louder. At least tube amps sound better the louder they get--the 400+, in particular. That's why you see bands toting more than one 8x10. I think after a certain point, the question isn't how many watts, but how many cabs.