Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Option 1

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Option 2

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  1. Well i should be going very soon with my guitar to get my new rig. He knows some guy named "Jimmy D" who works at a place called 8th street music. Jimmy claims he can get us rediculous prices on anything. So i want to run my main to options by you guys to get your feedback.

Option 1:
    SWR Mo' Bass
    SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab

Option 2:
    SWR Mo' Bass
    2 MESA 4x10 Cabs

Which option and why? Thanks

2. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    so far, its all 100% for the 8x10! well, thats because only i voted, but for some reason, i just like 8x10's more, they have an intimidation level that 2 4x10's don't do it for me. I just think that 8x10's are cooler, but if you have a small car, ignore my vote and get the 2 4x10's, because, unlike the 8x10, you can sell half of it.

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    id go with the 2 mesas ........ more watts which would mean you wouldnt be pushing the speakers too hard, and itd be easier to lug around. plus, you can just use the one 4x10 should you not need all 8 at your rig. megoliaths are really coo though ....

4. Id go for the 2 4x10 cabs just cause you can split them if you want, and if a speaker blows, you still have a cab while you get the other fixed. Plus its a lot easier to move you rig in peices then in one big chunk.

5. I like the 8x10 idea ONLY if it is practical for what you need it for. If you always need 8x10's it saves making 2 trips to the car,van or whatever. Plus there are wheels. The 2 mesas would be cool but if you chose to only use one it would feel wierd to pick which one..Hmm do I just take the 4x10 or the umm let's see the 4x10. I would think either you would never use both 4x10's just out of laziness. But with the Sr. you are forced to use all of the "ballochi's" no matter what. Although that could be an inconvienence also at times. Wow i feel like I am about to purchase this set up, I am just taking it so serious. :)

IMO the MO'Bass kinda scares me, it is too much to think about and I have this feeling that it has a lot of potential for someting to break. Although this is based on having no experience of owning one at all :)

have fun

6. Gudforniet

Gudforniet

Jul 14, 2000
    San Ramon, CA
    I dunno man, i spent well over an hour playin on the SWR mo' bass (with the megoliath by chance actually), and i was able to get a killer tone, and the eq is great on it, so i made it hella fat, but the effects: synthesizer, chorus, distortion, etc. sounded liek crap no matter what i did to it, and in the end i figured it wasnt worth the extra 1000 just to get those effects, i dunno has anyone else played on that amp?? it just didnt sound right to me, if ya dont want those built in effects, gallien krueger i hear is a great amp with awesome tonage capabilities, any opinions on that??

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I'd go with the 2 Mesa Boogie cabs rather than the Megoliath because:

1) I like the Mesa tone better than the SWR
    2) Two cabs are far more portable
    3) You could always swap out one cab for another

My $0.02

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    #2 - Portability and flexibility my man.

Portability
    I like Mesa better than swr's tone on 10's

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The two 4x10's would give you much better flexibility. How often and where do you gig?

11. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I own and use a Mo-bass w/ a goliath sr. (6-10's)
    I run it bridged mono.....which generates plenty of power to the cab.

I have had much pleasure and success with this setup.

This is my experience.....with my basses, and my band, and my style of playing.

I guess what I am trying to state ...( and it's always been echo'd in this forum) ....you need to decide for yourself what is best for your specific needs.

Good Luck
    Stay Low
    Peter

12. I tell ya, i was in GC today, and i was fooling around again with the Megoliath and then the MESA 4x10 cabs, using the Mo' Bass, and i tell ya, the Megoliath just takes to those effects to much better. Granted, they were basically made for each, but still, it like shows. And i finally got the lows i wanted out of the Megoliath. Just thought i would share that. Though i tell ya, i'm tryin to bargain prices, but they're not makin it easy. His bargain was that he would lower the price so that it would be 3000 on the dot, as oppose to like 3180 with tax. I'm kinda lookin for a better deal cause otherwise, i would just do the like the carvin poweramp, SWR preamp thing, though i'd have to loose the effects, but i'd pay less.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't vote because you've got that Mo' Bass in both choices. However, given a better amp, I'd go with the 410s. Moving an 810 would be more hassle than I want to put up with.

14. I think the mesa boogie 4x10s are good and fat in tone very clean highs with smooth lows, I'd rather have a 2x15 though you get more volume and better lowend coupled with a 4x10 (better a 3x10) You got something <b>sweet</b>.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    So lemme get this straight: You've narrowed your choices down to these two SWR rigs but you didn't answer my question about where and how often you gig. Then you start another thread looking for advice on which Ampeg rig to buy. You say you play a lot of rock music in the other thread. Is most of that rock playing done at GC, trying out gear, by chance?

16. Woah there. First off, the Ampeg one was a while back and people just seem to be continuing that one. So to answer that question, no, i didn't start this one and then do that one. Second, no, my rock playing as you put it isn't done at GC. I actually have a band, have been in several others, have giged in clubs and competitions, won the last battle of the bands i played in. So i guess that makes you wrong. And for the future, talkbass doesn't need negative people like you aboard who choose to spend their time criticizing others. Please bare that in mind for the future.

17. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I know 3 guys that have had the mo bass and all have sold them, to much useless junk built into them they said. I went with a power amp and pre setup, more bang for the buck IMO. I choose 2 4-10's. I like the sound of drivers when they are diven at 60-80 percent and you can get that in a 4-10 without having all the volume, if you try that with a 8-10 you better be playing a good size venue otherwise you will hurt somebody or never gig there again or both.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'll take your opinion of what TalkBass needs and doesn't need along with your assessment of what's negative or not as another example of what I'm talking about. BTW, "bare" means something different. Can you guess what?

19. Look, i'm not trying to start an arguement here, i'm trying to keep things peaceful and obtain the feedback on others along with providing my own feedback to those request it in their own threads. I don't know what possessed you to start this little quarrel but why don't we just stop it here and leave things be?

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Fair 'nuff, bro. Peace.