Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muttluk, Oct 3, 2000.

1. I'm looking to buy a new bass rig. I'm positive i want 10's for the cab. As for what kind of head, and what cab,i dont know. all i know is that my range is $1500 at most. Please help me narrow down my choices, of what i should look into. Also, i'd like the rig to be around 300 watts. thanks. i Play Punk, Jazz, and Funk. Thanks.

2. Sounds like you want an SWR Redhead Combo-2X10, 350 watts,
    around $1425. Great Amp, very versatile.

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    You're an excellent candidate for a sunn 1200 S and an SWR goliath 410 cabinet.

Might cost you more with tax but I really don't think you're going to get the volume or versatility using other machinery.

Don't short yourself on wattage dude. If you can get a 4 ohm cabinet, the sunn runs as a guess a very conservatively rated 800-900. Serves you much better than 300.

L Kaye

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Id recomend Carvin, you can get the RL1015 bass system for $1229.99 plus shipping costs. that includes a 1000 watt head, (i know your only looking for 300 watts, but its better to have more just in case ya need it someday), a RL410T bass cab and a RL115 bass cab. I own the Carvin RL410T bass cab and it sounds just as good as any swr out there and in my opinion and some friends it sounds better than some of the Ampeg cabs out there.

You can get the cab for $429.00 total cost..its also a 600 watt 8 ohm cab, I havent found any other brand out there that makes a 410 cab that can handle that kind of power.
    Check out http://www.carvin.com, you may find something you like there....theyre professional sounding and quality cabs for a very inexpensive price.

5. I think there's a mis-understanding... I dont mean a max. of 300 watts, i meant that i didnt want some head that would cost me $500 and only have 100 watts. by all means, i would like more then 300 watts too. one more thing, i'm kinda "aganst" carvin gear because of the factor of not being able to sample it first. and it wouldnt work for me to have to send it back to them if i dont like it. just too much of a hassel.

6. Huh?

Eden D-410XLT is rated at 700WRMS.

Acme Low B-4 Series II is rated at 700WRMS.

Aguilar GS-410 is rated at 700WRMS.

Epifani T-410 is rated at 800WRMS.

G-K 410RBH is rated at 800WRMS.

SWR Goliath III is rated at 700WRMS

Bag End Q10X-D is rated at 800WRMS

In fact, Carvin's 410 has one of the LOWER power ratings out there among popular brands.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Huh?

Eden D-410XLT is rated at 700WRMS.

Acme Low B-4 Series II is rated at 700WRMS.

Aguilar GS-410 is rated at 700WRMS.

Epifani T-410 is rated at 800WRMS.

G-K 410RBH is rated at 800WRMS.

SWR Goliath III is rated at 700WRMS

Bag End Q10X-D is rated at 800WRMS

In fact, Carvin's 410 has one of the LOWER power ratings out there among popular brands. [/B][/QUOTE]

Note I said that Ive found..I did forget about the edens though. I havent seen epifani, aguilar, or acme in any of the stores here.

8. For $1500, you could probably get a 4-ohm Eden D-410XLT and a WT-400 to drive it. That'd be the rig I'd have if I didn't have portability and financial concerns.

Alternatively, you could get an Eden Metro combo and a D-115XLT. That'd be a SWEET rig that could handle just about any situation you threw at it.

9. Hm... where do you shop? cause on musicians friend, it says that the wt-400 is about $1000, and i couldnt find the d-4x10xlt, but the lowest priced 4x10 was around $900, now thats about $400 over my range. unless you know of a place where i can get this gear for less, i'll have to go with somthing else.

10. I was wondering what all of you thought about the SWR Goliath III matched with a Eden WT-400? is that a good match, or will it sound bad? i'm trying to stay as close to around $1500 as possible. Also what do you guys think of an Ampeg SVT-III matched with the SVT-410h cab? Also what about the SWR 350 matched with a SWR goliath III? the match with the eden goes over my price range by a few hundered, and if i were to match a wt-400 with a d-410xlt that woudl be around $2000 and thats a lot more then i got right now. So all in all, which head to you recomend between the Ampeg svt-3 vs. Swr 350. I know that the Eden head beats both of them, so i'm not even gonna bring it up, i just dont think i have enough money for an eden.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you really want an Eden go with the Eden Metro combo. Its a couple hundred bucks under your $1500 limit, and if you decide later that you want more speakers the amp goes down to 2 ohms so you can add a cab.

12. is the eden metro all tube? also, i dont know if i really want an all tube amp because i dont know how to matence it. and i dont want to do somthing to the amp by changing the tubes to bad ones, or turning it on and off wrong or somthing simple that could blow somthing in the amp. Sides, i was thinking about the whole "large" combo thing, and that seems pretty dificult for me to move around, it apears to me that its easyer to move a head and 4x10.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, interesting...you could buy MY EBS Fafner and matching 4x10 for $1,500! It's in fantastic condition and is extremely versatile! You'd love it! :D:D:D

And, as far as power goes, it cranks out 420 watts into 8 ohms and 610 watts into 4 ohms...And, the cabinet has a sensitivity rating of 111 db, which is about the highest you'll find on the market. What this means is that if you A/B this cabinet with anything else, you'll usually find this cabinet to be louder than just about anything! :D:D

It's all solid state, except for a tube placed AFTER the preamp, so you can have ALL solid state sound or dial in as little or as much tube as you'd like! :D:D

And, if you're unfamiliar with EBS, I'll refer you to the review Bass Player Magazine did on the Fafner...a comment that was in the article was, "Only talent will get you more gigs!"

E-mail me at ramargol@hotmail.com if you're interested.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Eden Metro is solid state with a tube preamp.

You said you weren't sure about hauling around a "large combo", and would rather have a haed with a 4x10. I guess it depends on which 4x10 you get, but aren't most 4x10's just as heavy as a combo such as the SWR Super Redhead or Eden Metro?

15. The Eden Metro, (and all other Eden WT-series stuff), only has one tube.. a 7025/12AX7.

They last for YEARS, and when you do need to replace them, you just buy another for about 10 bucks and plug it in. No rebiasing is required, unlike all tube amps where you DO usually have to rebias them (yes, I know about Boogies and their pre-matched tubes).

Don't let the fact that there's a tube in it scare you off.

A better reason to be scared off is the weight. ;-)

16. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Eden gear rocks and if that's what you want then that's what you should get. The 410-XLT lists at $1230 and the WT-400 lists at $1198. You should be able to find these for ~60% of retail which would amount to ~1457 + tax for the amp and cab. You may even do better on used gear; this is pro-quality stuff and I would have no hesitation going with used Eden equipment.

Alternatively, you could go with one of the Eden CXC combos. The only difference between these and the WT series is one measly tube in the preamp that isn't really utilized in a way that significantly impacts tone. They sound great; you might not even notice a difference. I would go for the CXC-212C3: two 12" speakers driven with 300 watts for $1372 retail (street price ~$823). You can get 400 watts of power for an extra $100 if you want it. Mars was blowing these out a while back; you may be able to find an even better deal. Definitely play them and see which speaker configuration you like as they offer 1x15, 2x10, 2x12, and 4x10.

Let me know what you're thinking 'cause I can keep my eyes open and get a line on something if you know what you want...

17. i'm gonna go to GC this weekend and pretty much check out everything in the store. I'll basicly be the "pain in the ass kid" that the employees hate. well, i'll get them to earn their pay check. I'm probly gonna spend the most time around the Ampeg SVT-3 pro matched with a ampeg PR410he (even though its out of my price range, and also match the Svt-3 pro with a swr Goliath III. then i want to try out the SWR 350 matched wtih a Goliath, and of course i'm gonna try out the Eden gear, mostly the metro (if they got one yet, and the Eden wt400 matched with the d-410xlt (even thought that is out of my range) also match the wt400 with teh swr goliath (is that a good match?)

18. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, definitely try the WT-400 with the Goliath. I would also try the Ampeg and SWR heads with the Eden 410-XLT as a lot of people use those combinations. Also, check out the Eden 210-XLT 'cause it may be all you need and be a little more affordable.

Basically, any of the gear you're looking at is good quality so just find the setup that makes you feel the most at home. And I really don't think the Eden setup is out of your price range. If the sales guy knows you've got $1500 to drop, he won't want to see you walk away. Be firm and don't pay the sticker price; I already did the math on the price you should get -- did you just ignore it?

You should get the gear you want; otherwise, you'll end up taking a loss selling the stuff you settle for to go back and get what you want anyways. If you like the Eden stuff the best, then work the price down and get it. You may be able to find some killer deals through Ebay on used gear if you want to save even more.

Here's a link to an WT-400 going for $560 -- the auction closes in 22 hours:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=456296814

There are also a couple auctions up right now for 410-XLT's; go check 'em out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=459046933

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=452126589

19. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    OK so I know you're "kinda against carvin" but let me reassure you, they make great stuff and for $1500.00 you could buy two Cyclop's and only use one when you didn't need to kill people :D
    You'd get 4x8,2x15,and 2 attunuable horns with a whole sh*tload of power. This is the rig that Bunny Brunell uses (according to their literature.)
    If ya wanted, I could prolly be pursuaded to go over to the factory store and pick out a couple of good ones :D although maybe we could find someone in San Diego which is closer to the factory (made in USA!) and get them to go cause I don't know how the shipping and all that would work. But truly, Carvins frigging rock bro, mine's as solid as a rock and it Pumps! .. Al

"shameless plug" for those who might care expect the new badart cd (tentatively called "damning pictures")by christmas. I put 2 new tunes up @ mp3.com/badart so's you can get an early start!

We now return you to your regular program