New Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaybass, Feb 14, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    My school just bought a new rig after our old Peavey 15" combo finally crapped out after many years of dutiful service. We bought a Firebass 700 and a TVX(?) 4x10. So far I really like it, but the 4x10 has a tendency to clip very noticably at higher volumes. I was under the impression this 4x10 would be able to handle the power with ease; anyone have any thoughts? Any pointers on this rig, favorite EQ settings, etc? I'm still trying to feel this one out.
  2. Well,it might be that you are pushing too much bass through it and the power amp is actually clipping. Try keeping the bass as close to flat as possible and don't cut the mids. Alot of volume and tone is there in the midrange. It is common to cut the mids and boost the bass,and it puts alot of strain on your amp and cab.
    I used to do that and kept clipping my SWR Bass 350 head. When I turned the mids up and rolled the bass back a little all the sudden I had a ton of volume. Mids cut. And Bass sucks a ton of power and is usually killing everyone out front.
    That head and cab should kick,just experiment. Oh yeah,most amps will clip at 3/4 to full volume. Good luck.