Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by navEtheChimp, Jun 29, 2003.

1. navEtheChimp

navEtheChimp

Jan 28, 2002
    I am in a pop punk band and we are starting to play many shows and I do not have the right equipment to play with. Right now I only have a practice amp, but am willing to spend the money to buy a nice setup.

Our guitarist uses two Ibanez 4x12" cabinets and I am not confident with what i should do that will accompany his setup.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the topic. :)

Any info for me would be greatly appreciated.

2. If you have the money to spend then get a rack mounted rig. Something like Peavey DPC power amp with a preamp of your choice. Any existing pedals can go into the loop, or you can get rack mounted effects.
    As for cabs, it all depends on what sort of sound, and how much of it you want. I presume this Ibanez is pretty loud, 400watt+, so running a DPC at 4ohms gives you 1200watts, which gives you easily enough to compete with the guitarist, the PA and the drummer.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's much easier to stick a screwdriver through all but two of your guitarist's speakers. Then you can use what you want.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What i use is an Ampeg SVT-III Pro and a hartke 4x10 XL. This cuts through very nicely. i'm kind of in the same situation as you, as my guitarist (and his marshall 100 watt half stack) doesn't understand that things are loud as hell. i got my rig for about $600 (including a 3 space grundorf rack)... and its amazing.
    oh, and make sure to go USED GEAR!

Good Luck,
    Scott

P.S... What do the ibanez 4x12's sound like???

5. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    I'd go with EBS, since they make great gear and you mentioned you are ready to spend some money. Ampeg would be my second choice, since a lot of punk-rock etc. bassist use Ampegs; I'm not an Ampeg expert so I cannot say which model. I hope this helped.:)

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...how much money are you willing to spend, and how small/portable does it have to be?

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    :D

That could be the best suggestion, yet!

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    If you don't want to break the bank, may I suggest Avatar Speakers. great stuff for minimal $$$.

Check them out at
    their site

9. i am also in a pop punk band :( and i would suggest ampeg amps......maybe a svt-4 pro and an 810 (seeing how your guitarist has 2 4x12 stacks)