Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by somethingshort, Sep 6, 2003.

1. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    Hello, Im a recently converted from guitar to bass so I'm periodically in that "o god what do I buy" stage. I would like to go something along the lines of A Perfect Circles bass tone, since I plan on moving into a modern rock/alt rock style. I would like to spend around 350-450 on a head and maybe 300 on a cab, any and all suggestions are welcome, theres so many bass amps and I know nothing about any! Guitar equipment was so much easier to decide on lol. Thanks guys.

-Brandon

edit: Im a pick player, don't know if that has much to do with amp types or not.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'd checkout ebay, if I were you. If memory serves me correctly, his tone was fairly warm. You may want to look into an ampeg, or perhaps even an eden head. As for cabs, I'm sure a bagend 1x15 would do you well, maybe even a 1x15 with a 2x10. I certain of this though, with that budget, you'll be looking into used stuff. :)

3. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    Thanks, I guess I could specify even more, if any of you have heard the new Weak and Powerless demo, something along the lines of that tone is what Im looking for.

4. I playued guitar for a about three months before bass. Never picked up a pick again. I find myself to be much more versitile with my fingers.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    O... cause they have a different bassist for that song dont they. Did Paz Lenchantin leave before or after that song?

6. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    from what i read jeordie white (ex-manson, new bass player)did the work on the new album, but dont quote me on that

7. Paz Lenchantin who played on Mer de Noms uses a Fender Precision bass, a Mesa/Boogie 400+ head and an Ampeg cab. You might be able to get a good used Ampeg cab and head on your budget, I don't know about the Mesa head. I don't have a clue what the new guy plays through.

Since you're just starting out I'd say you were better off getting a good bass and the best amp you can get, don't think in terms of names yet. Remember the rule of thumb, you need four times the wattage of the guitarist to be comfortable at loud volumes and (IMO) more speakers are better. :)

8. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    What would a GK800RB with an Avatar 2x10 and 1x15 do for me? I know I've seen it reccommended but I just want to make sure I'm making a wise investment, money is so hard to come by these days :meh: