Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rogue basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaybo, Nov 1, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I noticed in the new MF that Rogue is making some basses with active electronics and different woods. Interesting...

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I bet they will still suck

3. Rogue?

[​IMG]

4. yeah still crap, but now it's prettier crap

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i'm pretty sure they'll suck too,
    but they look really good in the picture.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Dont judge a book by its cover...it may end up being pretty darn good!

:D

7. Now come on, what are the odds of a ROGUE being "darn good"?

They do look kinda nice, though.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    At that price, you wonder if it's a photo-flame.

I also wonder what they mean by "EMG style" pick ups. Non-EMG pick ups in the "style" of EMGs?

Nice look for $300 though.

9. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    Lol, they must mean soapbar pickups I think :)

10. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    If you wrap a box of manure in pretty wraping paper. It will appear to be very attractive. But once you pick it up the smell will be the first clue.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

jaybo - The materials surprised me, too;

"Basswood body with bubinga veneer top and matching veneer on headstock. The neck is Canadian hard maple fixed to the body with 6 bolts and fitted with a 2-way truss rod. Highest-grade Indian rosewood fingerboard. Genuine blue abalone position markers. Graphite nut...."

I'm sure it will attract some buyers who are impressed by the descriptions but don't know jack about such things wood species, wood drying/selection processes, fret dressing, nut slotting, and what "veneer" can really mean. Plus, I wonder how many human eyes even see these things before they are thrown in cardboard boxes at the factory in Zamboanga or Timbuktu.

The "EMG style active electronics" is surely open to wide interpretation.

Carlo Robelli basses is another great one for being
    "all looks and sound that doesn't cook."

But when you're 14 or so-years old, a lot of us learn the hard way that $250 spent on a bass with fancy woods and gold hardware is a sham. I know I did. Impressing others with looks is important at first for many.

12. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Well put, I got screwed that way too.:(

13. Rouge IMHO have always sucked, but these newer models they "Suck in Style"

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't know, I've tried a Rogue Hofner copy and A/B'd it with a real Hofner (There's a thread about it somewhere) and it was pretty darn good for something that cost less than 1/10th of the real thing.

With so many manufacturers turning out basses from Korea, some of them must be somewhat decent. Between the Copleys, the Michael Kellys and the Essexes, some people are making them right.

Sure, it ain't no Zon (or a Peavey Grind, which is what this bass looks like), but you ain't payin' Zon prices either.