Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Roland DB 900 - 700 - 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icks, Jul 4, 2002.

1. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Roland release their new amps, all combo's
    DB 900 320W 4x10'' + 2x12'' + tweeder
    DB 700 250W 1x15'' + tweeder
    DB 500 160W 1x12'' + tweeder

They have the new technology FFP feed foward processing. They are modelizin amp...
    Anyone tried them ? Rock or sux ?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've tried them all (in a store). I was impressed with the capabilities of them all as well. Each one is designed for a different application (situation). I was personally most interested in the DB-900 with its 4x10"s and 2x12" passive radiators built in to the sides of the cab. It is by no means a small amp like the DB-500 and 700 are. The DB- 900 weights 141 lbs, thank god it cames with heavy duty casters as standard.

There is minimal modeling available in the product line. You do have the COSM technology that allows you to set the amp to sound like a traditional "Solid State" amp or set it to sound like a "Tube" or "Tube Drive" amp. Once you've got the tones you like, you can save them into the memory for instant recall. There are two memorys.

The pre-amp includes a compression knob to permit compression to be applied to the input signal, which was very useful. The built-in chorus feature is excellent.

My only concern with the DB-900 is if it will be loud enough to keep up with a 5 piece band without being miked. 320 watts should be enough, but until the amp is used in a live situation we won't know for sure. I've been using a 445 watt tube amp with 8x10" for the past 9 years and moving into something smaller that sounds as good has been a real challange. I've tested just about every combo out there and todate none of them measure up. I'm hoping that the DB-900 will do the job.
    I hope to take a DB-900 to gig with this weekend.
    I'll let you know what I thought of it, if it happens.
    Cheers,

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    thank you...
    I have a catalog right here, but i prefer real experiences...
    I think too that 320W will be enought, I play with a fender bxr 300 ( which is 300w :D ) at 4/10 an in a 4 piece and EVERYONE hear me despite our mad drummer :D

4. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I got the DB-500 shortly after it came out. There's a lot to like about the amp. It's portable, built like a tank, has some great tones, and is surprizingly loud for its size.

I've gigged with it in small venues and its held it's own quite well. In my opinion it's too underpowered for medium or large venues, or outdoor gigs. The single 12 inch speaker is not going to give you a lot of bottom end.

Since most of my gigs are outdoors I wound up needing a larger rig. I practice through the DB-500, and still use it for small indoor gigs.

5. I tried a DB700 and did not like the tone at all. For a modeling amp it didn't seem all that flexible. Cranked in the tube mode it was acceptable, but just barely. Also, it was just too darned heavey.

Sorry, but you know how it is at TB... some will love anything and some others will hate the very same things. I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast!

6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I use a DB700 upon occasion. I dont own this amp, it is owned by a friend who sometimes lets me use it for practice and even on a gig once.

I find the amp to be underpowered and kind of thin sounding. Putting it in tube mode and cranking the gain made it sound better and cut through the mix more. The chorus sounds pretty good and you can crank it to ridiculous levels of warble.

I suspect that this amp is more for keyboards and active basses. I use a passive axe.

7. basschile

basschile

May 14, 2004
    Yes, i have a Fender Precision Active Bass, and the sound is AMAZING!.
    I can sound like Jaco, like Mark King or like Stanley Clarke, all in one!.

8. I tried both, the DB700 and DB500. Surprisingly, the DB500 was louder and a lot cleaner sounding than it's bigger brother with the 15" woofer.