1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Rondo Douglas Spector Copy - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonfatmatt, Mar 1, 2008.

1. So Rondo Music is tugging at the strings of my heart again this time with a Douglas Spector copy. I always liked the Spectors but I could never get one in the right pickup configuration (wanted MM at the bridge) so this would be the ideal modding platform to make the bass I've been wanting to make. The question is though has anyone been out there lately and played one of these? I'm more concerned with the build quality than the electronics which will be ripped out with impunity. I bought one of the MM copies and was kind of disappointed with the neck. I know it's asking a lot of a 179 dollar bass....

EDIT: Forgot to post the link... http://www.rondomusic.com/product832.html

2. teej

teej Gold Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I don't see them on Rondo's site. Pics?

3. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
  4. Yeah, that's the one, forgot to post the link.

5. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You need to get your eyes checked ;) – that's no Spector copy.

Rondo has had this body style for years.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Spectors have that big fat upper horn that resembles a Warwick Streamer's (or is it the other way around?) and a downward curving lower horn.

7. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    yeah I dont think that is new, and def. not a spector copy :confused:

8. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Yeah, Streamers came after the NS.

9. Sheesh. It looks fairly like a Spector - I've owned 2. Thanks for no help. Does anyone actually have real advice on the quality of these instruments or should I not even bother?

10. Order the thing. What's the downside? You can ship it back if you don't like it.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes the streamers did come after the NS. And the NS is named after it's designer, Ned Steinberger!

But those Rondo basses look nothing like Spectors...

12. looks like a warwick fortress, a spector, and a P-bass all had an orgy and spawned that.... 's not bad looking though^^

13. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    I dont think many here have played that particular model, I do know theres one guy on here with a boatload of SX's and he has the 4 string version of that fretted and fretless, track him down and ask him mebbe

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In short, it doesn't actually look like a Spector.

15. basically.

16. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks NOTHING like a Spector. But damn, it's a sexy bass. I'd love to drop some EMG's in there.

17. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    OLP has a Spector copy, could that be what you were thinking of ?

18. I can't help you with that specific model, but I have had another Douglas model (WEB-846 fretless) for a couple of months now and I have no complaints, especially at the price point.
    It needed some adjustments, but the guys at the guitar shop had no problems setting it up and had nothing negative to say about the overall construction. It stays in tune, and it plays and sounds nice. I'm not sure what more I could ask from a $179 bass. As far as customer service, it's tough to beat Kurt at Rondo Music.

19. Thank you very much. First actual helpful post out of 17.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If you like the NS body shape and want a MM pup in the bridge position, look no further than the Warwick Streamer Jazzman.

[​IMG]