Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Roscoe Fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've been in the market for a fretless 5 for awhile now and had decided on a used Zon. Just as I was about to buy, something interesting happened. I manage a music store in greensboro, nc and the city's Roscoe dealer just went out of business. I thought it was good opportunity for the store to pic up a nice line so yesterday I went to speak with Keith about becoming a dealer. When I walked in he was on the phone with another dealer telling him about a fretless SKB 5 string he had ready to go that another dealer had ordered but had decided to cancel at the last minute. He offered it to that dealer, who said he would have to think about it. I looked at the bass and thought it looked fantastic. I plugged it in and knew I had to have it. I told Keith I would take it if the other dealer didn't want it. Last night around 8PM Keith called me at my house and told me the dealer declined the bass. I picked it up this morning. I used to own a few Roscoe's about 6 years ago that were nice but not even close to what he's now putting out. This fretless kills everything I've played. I've owned a lot of basses including Fodera's, Zon's, Smith's Elrick's, etc. and what Keith does today rivals all of those in terms of construction and playability. Needless to say, i am blown away. I ordered 3 more for the store. If anyone is looking for a Roscoe let me know. I live 6 miles from Roscoe's shop and it would be very easy for me to take several pics of all the tops he has available.
    My bass has a boxelder top with a decent amount of figuring; not over the top like a few others he had but I prefer the simpler, less busy look. It has the spanish cedar back, Diamondwood board with aluminum lines, matching headstock, Bart electronics. The bass plays and sounds incredible. Here's a couple bad pics. I couldn't get the figure to show up right but you kind of get the idea.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    pic 2. sort of like the first.

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Congrats- i called Keith about a lined fretles today and he told me your story- except i didnt know it was you- gotta get a Roscoe fretless someday

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I will put the Roscoe fretless on my radar screen.:cool:

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congratulations! Great looking bass Peter! Keith just finished one for me that took 5 months. Worth every minute of the wait! Consider yourself lucky to be able to walk in and get a finished one! Mine also is a Box Elder Burl top (spalted) with the same options as yours. Who knows, the wood may have come from the same tree! I agree with your assesment. I honestly have never played another fretless that impressed me as much as a Roscoe. Here's a pic of mine.

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I played a Roscoe-5 for the first time Friday at the Guitar Center in Raleigh. I was impressed with the build quality of the Roscoe, but the bass in particular was nasty. Literally nasty. It was used, had 5 mismatched strings, rust on the pickup screws and bridge, a burn on the neck, 100,000 miles of wear, etc. All for 1599.00! And under all that, I could still tell that at one time it was a nice instrument. I wonder how old it is. Ser#4069 Any idea?

I'm in Goldsboro, about 3 hours away. Drop me a line when you get something that might make it worth the drive. (no slanted pups please)

JB

8. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
  9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, Peter. I own a Roscoe SKB3006 fretless and it's the bomb, too. Keith does good work. And, if I'm not mistaken, he considers his fretless basses to be his best work. They sure have major mwah!

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I just got back from a little gig with the Roscoe and everyone in the band was blown away. I was well pleased. Money aside, these are some of the very best basses out there. When you consider how much cheaper these are compared to many other high end, I can't believe more people don't play them. My store will get more and so will I.

JR, I may have one of the SKB 5's as soon as Monday or Tuesday. There's one that may be available that I have first dibs on. I'll let you know.

Adrian, I am so glad I beat you to this one:D Were you looking to get it for yourself or a customer? If you need a fretless, Roscoe's are as good as any in terms of mwah. I had a Zon Sonus Special once that was incredible, the Roscoe is better. Needless to say I am a fan.

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Peter--BEAUTIFUL bass! Congrats! I am sooo crazy about my LG3000. I can't wait to try out a 5 to experience that "Roscoe B" that's been becoming rather famous lately.
    JR--I'm not really sure I would guess at the age of that one, but Keith Roscoe told me mine (SN-2167) was at least 10 years old. I asked him for the specifics on it, but he said he didn't keep files that far back, or something like that. I'm not sure what numbers he's up to now, but if someone with a recent one (mmm...Peter, perhaps?) would be so kind as to post thier SN, we may could estimate at it.
    I was never sure what kind of top mine has, but seeing those picks leans my assumptions a little more towards it being Box Elder. I'll post pics soon and maybe y'all can help me figure it out.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Scott- I knew he had that one- i hesitated- its all good because i like to get things started by finding my own tops- i will most likely get one- i am waiting on a couple of things before i decide which way to go- agreed about the Roscoes- i know th efrelesses rock- i need to get one with lines.. black lines.

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sahweet. 'nuff said