New Roscoe!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nakedfish, May 1, 2005.

1. Here it is - my new SKB-3006! :hyper: :D

I am one happy bunny, as it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

It came in last Thursday and I've now had the chance to gig it a couple of times over the weekend. It far surpasses any bass I have owned or played. A truly inspiring instrument. I feel so relaxed with it already. It really is hard to convey in words how good it feels to play. The construction is flawless and the fretwork is the best I have ever seen.

Big thanks to Gard for hooking me up, and to Keith and crew for building a wonderful bass. :D

Specs are -

Buckeye Burl/Spanish Cedar body
    Maple/Purpleheart/Maple neck
    Birdseye Maple board with Buckeye Burl inlay
    Diamondwood nut
    18v Bartolini pre-amp
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats nice, congrats.
  3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Nothing feels better than getting a new Roscoe! That's a beauty! Congrats!
  4. Thanks guys.

Matt - you're right on the money! You've got a double dose of Roscoe fever! I was lusting after yours whilst waiting for mine... :D

A couple more pics...

The Buckeye inlay in the neck was Keith Roscoe's idea. I knew nothing about it until I received it - v cool of him! - a nice alternative to the Mother of Pearl he traditionally uses. :D
  5. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    What is the sound like? Does it have a modern and growly tone?
  6. The sound is warm, punchy and clean. It is not sterile sounding in any way.

With the neck pu alone, the tone has a 'Precision' like woodiness and bite. The bridge pu has a pronounced 'Jazz' like midrange. The two combined give a very focussed sound that really cuts through in a band situation. If you like to dig in while playing, you can get a really nice metallic edger in the upper mids/high end without losing the bottom end. Perfect for rock.

I also DI'd it into a desk in a friends home studio and played along to some backing tracks. With the EQ flat on the bass it sounded great playing pop, jazz, rock etc... very versatile.
  7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    sound clips?
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Beautiful bass.

It shouldn't be too much longer now before I can finally order one of my own. :)
  9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    That really does look amazing, congratulations.
  10. Nothing recorded as yet - I don't have home recording equipment myself - and I'm a bit of a pc luddite too. :eyebrow: I will try to get some mp3's uploaded at some point soon.
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Awesome looking bass! That's a wild piece of buckeye burl! :cool:
    I've been trying to decide if the extra wood used on the neck of the 3006 gives the bass a phatter sound than the 3005. It sure seems to have to have a phatter sound than my current 3005 (and my previous 3005's). Anyone out there compared a 3005 and 3006 with the same type woods and pre?
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Damn, didn't Gard JUST leave? :smug:
    Congrats on a sweet score... you'll love it.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Wow the 3006s have a bigger sound than the 3005s? I didn't think that the sound could be bigger than it already is! Thanks for giving me even more already know I was curious about getting into a 6, now I need to get into one for sure!
  14. Thanks. It's a pretty bass, no? :D

Ryan - Go for it. :cool: What type of woods etc do you have in mind?

Joe - I almost backflipped when I first saw it :D I've not played a 3005, but compared to my Ray5 it is a lot phatter sounding.

Ray - Yeah, but I tracked him down to Greensboro... ;)
  15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Always glad to do my part to instigate GAS in my fellow TB'ers! :D
    Listen closely and repeat after me:

you have got to get a Roscoe 3006.....
  16. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new looks great, and I'm sure it sounds and plays ever better!!! :) ;)
  17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is one sweet Roscoe, man. I love the heck out of mine, even tho it's not as fancy as that one. Just gigged with it last night, and it just continues to make me drool with happiness. :)
  18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Incredible bass! Congrats!!!