1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Roundwounds that don't squeak, are not too bright

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Blah114, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    Are there roundwounds I can buy for a fender Precision that do not have excessive fret noise? I like the sound of flats, but not the feel, thus far. I prefer to stick to roundwounds..

Elixirs coated strings? They have two coatings.. one seems like flatound feel.

DR?

I love the sound of worn-in Rotosounds.. but they take months to break in.. I don't like new strings.. but I have to replace a set 1 week before a show... I don't want to have harmonics all over the place, etc.. yes, I have a rough technique... but I can play.

Suggestions much appreciated.

2. Try some ground wounds - Dean Markley makes a nice set.

3. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I don't care for the feel of flatwounds much.. per the reviews, the ground wounds feel like flats, but sound like rounds.. is that right?

4. man, I just don't like the sound of ground wounds...

they do sound a bit brighter than flats...but they don't sound like rounds, IMO...

for me, the ticket is simple...Nickel Rounds and the right amount of treble roll-off...

all rounds squeak...learn to play WITH it, not against it...

5. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    what about these "coated" strings.. are they hype

6. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Maybe you would like DR lo-riders. They're not as twangy as other strings I've used.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If you like the sound of flats but want round-wounds I'd suggest S.I.T. Silencers. Definitely somewhere in between Flats and Roundwounds with little finger noise.

If you want Roundwound clarity and attack but don't want finger noise... i'd suggest Elixirs. But sound is not like Flats.

8. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    +1 for nickel rounds.
    But I'd rather check EQ settings first.

9. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    EQ is vital, yes.. but which Elixirs.. one set is coated more than another.. I assume "Bass Strings with ultra-thin NANOWEB® Coating"...

thanks for the SIT recommendation, DR.. I will check that.

honestly, I believe you can use bass strings for at least 1 year.. I like worn in roundwounds.. love the sound of flats.. feel of rounds. where does it all end..

10. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Answering your question, I prefer the Nanoweb Elixirs. No finger squeak and last a very long time, assuming you play with fingers. With a pick they get frayed pretty quick. They can still sound good for a while after that, bu they can look pretty ratty.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    But, the Elixirs retain much more of a Stainless sound than a Flat sound. IMHO.

I've A/B'd Elixirs with SIT Power Steels and they sound very surprisingly similar.

Here's a thread with the A/B clips on it. Surprising how similar they sound. The SIT Power Nickel's were more worn in so thusly sound mellower.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448155

And those recording were made on a very active modern sounding bass. Schecter Studio5 with custom Kent Armstrong Humbucker Soapbar pickups wired Series and Aguilar OBP-3. So it's not going to give a good example of vintage type tone, but you can hear the similarities or difference between the strings.

12. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    DR Sunbeams.

these nickel coated strings have the most powerful organic low mid punch I ever got out of rounds and non of that metalic twang and uncontrollable overtones you get from steels and in some voodoo inspired way still give a great, rich, snappy slap sound.

they sound excellent out of the box and introudce a very "recorded" type of colour (in a warm way) into your tone.
    great if you are after a solid classic tone that fits in every kind of music.

if you need more bite than punch but without the harshness I'd recommend Roto SM66N (for Nickel). great strings, very much like the DR's but more aggressive in the upper mid range.
    they do need about a week to settle down for a balanced even tone.

13. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    if you're suggesting that Elixir makes 2 different coatings for bass strings, that is no longer true. Alas, the Polyweb are no longer made for bass, only the Nanoweb are available. I love those polys and have several sets stored away for me. Will take years to go through them. They sound great recorded and live. I assume so do the Nanos.

14. I like GHS's compressed strings. They start out rounds and then are literally "squashed" which makes for a very smooth feeling string with little or no fingernoise. They soundwise are in the middle between the two. Brighter than a flat, but not as bright or twangy like a round. Smith makes a set of compressed strings that are very similar. They are also good strings for fretless and are fret friendly as well.

FG

15. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    thanks, everyone.. a tough debate.. I think I might just leave the rounds on, mail order Elixirs.. I notice I might be getting fret wear.. that worries me also.. DR SUnbeams are really a cool choice too.. so many choices..

16. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I like GHS Bass Boomers for the P-bass. They have a nice rich, wholesome sound.

17. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Ahh, then they must be great for gospel! ;)

18. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    GHS Pressurewounds - less than round (oval) outer winding.