Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rumblefish P-J for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jun 11, 2004.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I found something I actually like the sound of better than my beloved G&Ls (at least for now). The string to string balance on this puppy is excellent and it's got plenty of grunt, thump and grind. The neck is a dream. The short upper horn is a pain (but I can get around it) and the square body edge encourages good posture. It is brand new from Reverend (and a 40th bday present from my family).

I expected a darker look to the "bugeye black chrome" but it's still very cool. Now my only question is whether to break down and find another for backup and/or tuning experiments since I like the first one so much. I had a standard J-J Fish a while ago and it did nothing for me sonically, but this P-J is just IT for me.

I'm sure it's going to get some interesting comments from my bandmates next week. For a few more pics click on the picture.

2. :hyper:
    Sweet!! Congrats, Craig. She's a beauty.
    Heh.. another convert.. :ninja:
    I was planning on getting a Reverend P-J, but Rumblefish #62 just came up for sale and I had to snag it.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Very nice!

My Rumblfish XL is my main gigging bass right now, but a P-J is on my GAS wishlist, just so I can alternate for my own enjoyment :) .

4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Are the differences between the j/j and the p/j significany? how would you compare and contrast the two?

5. nice bass, how much you pay?

6. Chronosx65x

Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Milwaukee,Wi.
    nice bass. i kno it was a gift, but how much tho?

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Dave, I saw you jump on #62 quickly. I was looking for a used P-J but the only ones I saw were orange or went higher than I expected. I missed the gold demo one by one day off the Reverend website. So I ordered new. I don't regret it at all. It's a good value.

I don't remember the exact amount (and my records are not with me right now). But the only thing that's not listed on the website is the bugeye finish at $60 a side. I did front only (regular black phenolic on the back). I also ordered back in March before the last price increase so it was a bit less than the current prices (and I did a gig bag to keep the cost down).

I can't say a lot sound-wise as I had the J-J rumblefish a fairly long time ago. But in general you can see the pickup placement is not quite the "standard" P-J placement. Both pickups look shifted towards the neck and that gives a deeper sound (at the cost of less growl/burp from the bridge pickup). But it works for me. I just remember getting the J-J Fish, plugging it in, playing and going "Ehhh, what's the fuss about?". I was comparing it to G&Ls (L-2000s and SB-2s) and it didn't have the same depth. The P-J does (at least compared to the SB-2 I have now, an L2K would still have more lows).

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that's a wonderful looking bass craig!!

i love my JJ 'Fish. tons of bottom. i guess PJ is even more full sounding!!

9. I keep hearing that - and I'm almost convinced that I need a PJ Rumblefish - but what would you compare the neck to (profile, width et c), if the references are Fender P and J (of todays American Series as well as Highway 1 and '57 and '62 P reissues) and Musicman Stingray and Sterling? The reason I ask is that I'm very much a P-bass/Stingray kind of person, and dislike too slim J-type necks in general.
    Oh, and congratulations on your new bass! Have fun with it!

10. The neck on the Rumblefish feels like a '60s Jazz neck as far as profile. They roll the fingerboard edges which really enhances playability. The neck is substantial enough to not feel like a pencil, but it just melts into your hands. You gotta try one!

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    That finish is called Bugeye Black Chrome? I don't see anything like it on the Reverend site.

12. The Reverend (4 string) bass necks have the narrow Jazz 1.5" width at the nut but they are thicker (front to back) than a newer Jazz Bass; I think that's why they feel so comfortable. The rolled edges and immaculate fret work also help the feel.

13. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    My next bass will be a Reverand P/J. Won't be till early 2005 before I can swing it though :crying:

14. i've had my eye on those myself. i love my XL but i keep thinking a P would be a great supplement, so it dawned on me that i should just go with another reverend.

word on the street is that reverend is going to have a SUBSTANTIAL price increase on all guitars and basses sometime soon, so if you have the means, don't hesitate.

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I probably have the Fish thing covered, but MAN. I do love that finish. Nice one, Craig!

16. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

It's been discontinued for a while but they still had some around. There's a small note somewhere on their site that they will build instruments with their discontinued finishes if they still have some of it in the shop - you have to call and check. This was my all-time favorite Reverend finish so when I called to order and found out they still had some I couldn't resist.

The neck is narrow like everyone has said, but thicker than some. Compared to a G&L #6 neck (my other favorite) it's just as narrow, but thicker front-to-back. Like the #6 it doesnt widen out too quickly so it stays comfortable for me as I move up the fretboard (some get wider more quickly and get to be "too wide" as I move up into the less-often-traveled areas of the fretboard).

17. The prices just went up $20 the other week. Man, I hope they don't go up too much more. Yes, they're worth their weight in gold, but still.. :help: