Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rush DVD fast approaching

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by By-Tor, Jun 30, 2003.

1. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Anybody have any intrest in upcoming release of the 'Rush in Rio" DVD.
    It is the last show of the Vapor Trails tour, in Rio with 60,000 fans.
    I personally can't wait.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I din't know that had one coming out. I'm definitly gonna get it. It was a great tour!!!!

3. Hmm.. yeah, I have a slight interest in that.. :D
    I can't wait, either!

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    speaking of rush, has everyone heard that they'll be doing a one-off show with the stones in toronto at the end of the month? might be worth a road trip -tickets are super-cheap.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think the Chicago Tribune said $16US!!!!!

When is it again?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! $16? Where can I get some cheap airfare?

I can't wait until the DVD comes out. I missed the Vapor Trails tour:( due to finances.

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I think it's mentioned on the RUSH website, it's a SARS benifit concert, AC/DC is suppose to be there too.

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Not worth the trip.

It's $28 CDN or so, and I'm only an hour away, but we decided to skip this one.

Sure, there's Rush, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Tragically Hip, possibly U2, and more...
    ...but there's also going to be hundreds of thousands of people, and there's essentially no chance of ever seeing the stage. I don't think it's worth it.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Back to the DVD..

Has there been a release date yet?

Any idea about what kind of extra material will be on it?

Does anyone know if I can get "Exit... Stage Left" on DVD anywhere???

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Here is what the official Rush website says:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RUSH IN RIO

FIRST-EVER CONCERT DVD TO BE RELEASED EARLY THIS FALL.

Los Angeles, CA (May 22, 2003) Coming Home Studios is proud to announce the fall release of the home video and DVD debut of “Rush in Rio”.

Revered and idolized, RUSH - Geddy Lee on bass and vocals, Alex Lifeson on Guitar and Neil Peart on drums - give an outstanding performance in this amazing show shot in the world famous Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Filmed on November 23, 2002 and shot with 22 cameras in 16x9 widescreen format, it was the band’s final date on the band’s successful “Vapor Trails Tour.”

The show beautifully captures the energy of the show and the 60,000+ fans that saw RUSH perform. RUSH rewarded the fans with such hit songs as “Closer to the Heart,” “The Spirit of Radio,” “Limelight,” “The Big Money” and “Tom Sawyer” to name a few. Rush’s 17 albums are well represented through a 28-song performance.

The DVD will be a 2-disc set that will include a documentary of the band’s tour of Brazil that includes footage from shows in Porte Allegre, Sao Paolo and Rio de Janeiro. There will also be extensive bonus features such as: multi-camera options and hidden clips. This is a truly amazing DVD set that captures the energy, power and virtuosity of this legendary ensemble. The audio will be offered in Dolby Digital Stereo, Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound and DTS Digital Surround Sound. The DVD will be distributed by Rounder Recorders in the U.S., Anthem in Canada, Sanctuary in Europe, JVC in Japan and Sum Records in South America.

Coming Home Studios is a full service television and DVD production and distribution company that uses cutting edge production methods to provide the music fan with a front row seat at the concert. Coming Home Productions and Coming Home Distribution are affiliates of Coming Home Studios, LLC.

Contact info:
    www.cominghomestudios.com or www.rush.com

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ByTor,
    nice to see another marillion fan round here, don't see too many of them!

I like both H and Fish-era stuff, but Clutching At Straws is probably my favourite M album of all.

12. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I must say Clutching at Straws is an awesome album.
    I'm more into the Fish era, but I also like the stuff with Hogarth.

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight are both great. Holidays In Eden and Seasons End both have great moments, but aren't great albums IMO.

H is the better singer technically, no doubt. But Fish was the more charismatic presence.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Smash,
    Trewavas playing came more to the forefront on the H era stuff. The playing on Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight is really nice. Some really driving lines.

I think the reason I always preferred Rush and Marillion over bands like Dream Theater is that Rush and Marillion seem (to me at least) more song based. They have the musicianship, but still want to make it a memorable tune. Dream Theater are incredible musicians, but the songs just don't do it for me. Cue 10,000 Dream Theater fans calling for my head.

Anyway, to prove this isn't totally off topic. Didn't Marillion open for Rush in their North American tour of '89 or so?

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    oooohhhh... me like. Looks like I'm going to spend some serious time there

16. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Marillion opened for Rush at this historical rock and roll show:[​IMG]

and also opened on some of the shows for the Power Windows Tour in '86.

17. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    There's another Marillion fan here. Me!

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Practicing or lapsed?

Cool! I used to get such stick at high school, people couldn't reconcile how I was into Duran Duran AND Marillion AND New Order AND Rush. Like the two worlds couldn't mix. It was all just good songs to me.

..all the best freaks are here...

19. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    David, I went through the SAME thing! I always caught it from Jazz guys and the Metalheads. According to them there was no way you could like Weather Report or Stanley Turrentine and dig Duran or Waitresses. The metalheads though it was wimpy and the Jazz guys said it was harmonically barren. Duran got the chicks though! I got more dates digging Duran than metal or Jazz. Plus, in pop music then everyone sounded different. There was no way you could ever confuse XTC with Duran with Simple Minds with Marillion with Rush and...you get the idea. Those players all have a "voice." Don't worry Jazz guys I still listen to that stuff too!

20. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Count me in as another huge Marillion fan! I saw Marillion open for Rush at Radio City Music Hall in 1983. I've been lucky to catch them a couple times in the Fish days as well as a bunch of Hogarth shows. Awesome band, and Trewavas is just a great player.

Looking forward to the Rush DVD - I missed them on the Vapor Trails Tour.