new ryknow bass sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Oct 16, 2002.

1. hello... i was wondering if ayone knows how ryknow gets his bass to sound like that on the new song "not falling" and if anyone knows how he gets it on L.D. 50 also... i would really like to know.. thank you.

2. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    warwick fretted and fretless thumb fives, ampeg svt, compression.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    along with the generous helping of fieldy-q, the nu-metal necessity for any bassist trying to make a musical statement. after all, we can't trudge on those guitars, now can we? :rolleyes:
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

.....and DR Hi-Beams with the action about a foot off the fretboard.

Note: There is no "Ryknow" any longer. With their new album, all the "lads" have changed their names.
    "Ryknow" is now "R2-D2" or "Ru-d" or something.
    Just thought we all needed to know in case the subject comes up at the dinner table or talking with the boss at work.
  5. yeah, my boss just asked me about that! 'We need to implement that network the way, what's up with the Mudvayne guys changing their names?' :D
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Common myth: Ryan Martinie uses fretless basses.

Truth: uses lots of chords, blues vibrato, and just good technique. Seen em live twice, nary a fretless all night, have the DVD, nary a fretless to be seen.
  7. rickbass

The "Prince-syndrome"????
  8. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Are you sure Brendan? I thought there's at least one tune on the live dvd/LD50 disk where r uses a lined warwick thumb five fretless.

Check out the intro to Severed, isn't that a fretless? If its not, then damn! i need vibrato like that!
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ryan martinie does _not_ use a fretless...between his technique and heavy use of compression it sure as heck sounds like one.....but not
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah, i bet ryan's mama calls him ryan....i'm gonna call him ryan, too...R2-D2, indeed :rolleyes: what kind of crap is that....or ru-d....or ryknow even...oh well, to each his own...but he is a heck of a bass player.
  11. rickbass

Aw c'mon `bout - saltsea necromancer" for you?????

A penis-tatoo of an "anchor" for you???

Who cares about what you play???? :rolleyes:

Seriously, - stay true to the music and not the image. I think you do that.
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    saltsea necromancer? r0x0rZz how 'bout an anchor penis piercing? ;)
  13. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    yup, he DOES NOT use a fretless.. i read an interview with Ryan Martinie in a bass magazine from japan and he even said he never uses a fretless.. the sound from the intro for severed is him playing a regular warwick thumb 5 iwth lots of compression

14. From now on my name shall not be pronounced by the human tounge, I am only to be known by the penguins as *makes penguin noises* but you may all call me Mr. Squeeky.:rolleyes:
  15. o my god that was funny.i love mudvayne but the name thing is funny.what icon pic thing do u have big feet it looks like some thing tim burton would do.
  16. Not Tim Burton, but still gothic... it's actually a pretty funny comic, nothing like a tiny, dancing pocket goth getting an anal probe.

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I dunnoo whats with nu-metal musicians now-a-days and changing their names. I suppose we can make an acception with ryan :)
  18. yup... ryknow is a cool guy.. dont know about the namecanging and such though.. can anyone specify on the amount of compression and settings he uses??
  19. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Almost spit out my food on that one.:D
  20. rickbass

I feel the same way, kirby. He and the drummer are pretty talented (and that's coming from a guy who went to college in the 70's). Those two don't need all these lame "gimmicks", IMO.