1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New saddle...or bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just broke another string tonight (my E)...it ticked me off, because the strings were only about a month old. So, this being the fourth e-string I've broke, with no breakeage of any other strings, it finnally occured to me to look at the saddle. Duh... sure enough, on the E saddle, there's a couple of grooves that look to be the culprit.

Anyone have any experience saddle shopping? I'd get a bridge, but the finish and materials my bass have don't seem to conducive to drilling any holes, so I'm leary about getting a new bridge, meanwhile a new saddle is more than likely gonna be compatible. Anyone know where I could get a hold of a single saddle?

OTOH, a new bridge might be just what the Doc ordered. A nice Hipshot or would make my bass feel much better. :) It's an Ibanez GSR200, if that helps, and seems to have a stock fender type bridge, with the four holes set at the four corners of the bridge. This a standard thing, or would I have to get exact measurements?

Thanks.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I coulda' swore WD or Stew-Mac sold individual saddles, d*mmit :p.

I think the "stock" Fender style is 5-in-line mounting holes...

[​IMG]

Though 4-in-the-corner is common too...

[​IMG]

The second one there is for 2¼" string spacing and
    is $14 at dguitarparts :) .

3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    hey, if you got the extra cash get the new bridge, it will make your bass feel a thousand times better then that crappy fender knock-off you got now. but if you dont got the cash just get a cheap saddle for now. i likle the hipshot style "A" bridge, it rocks.;)