1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Saddles Vs New Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kyral210, Dec 13, 2011.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Is it worth replacing the whole bridge on my '97 Fender Precision Bass Deluxe (USA) or should I just throw some Graphtech saddles on?

The E saddle keeps unscrewing itself during playing so it falls down and touches the metal plate beneath it. I want to solve this, and not sure if its a new saddle or new bridge thing. I love the look of the Fencer VHM bridge, is there any tonal improvement if I string through the body?

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    The classic fix for set screws that unscrew themselves is to (1) remove the set screw from the saddle (2) coat the threads with nail polish (3) let dry (4) install set screws. The nail polish will add just enough "stick" to permanently fix the problem.

As far as thru body stringing... there's been countless threads on this. My vote says if there is an "improvement", it is very, very subtle.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    +1 for clear nail polish and top loading the strings. Both are proven to be simple and effective.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Nail polish or loctite on the screws

No. It just makes changing strings more difficult.

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    If the new VHM bridge makes no difference then why did Fender introduce it?

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Consumer demand.

7. +1. Kind of like 1x15/4x10 stacks. The only benefits to string through that I've ever been able to detect are 1) it helps to keep the fat diameter of certain strings off the tuning peg, which can help prevent string breakage, and 2) it puts more downward pressure on the saddles, which tends to keep them nailed down better. I run my D and G through body for this reason alone. Which probably makes no difference whatsoever, but it makes me feel all warm and tingly.

:D

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the '97 would have the string-through only bridge and the grey steel saddles; it's my favorite bass bridge by the way.

i don't usually hear about these drifting, since there's plenty of pressure on each saddle; you want to space the strings slightly wide, so that the outer saddles get pushed in towards the inner ones, holding everything together.

bassbridge.

that said, a drop of mild loctite or nail polish is all it needs.