Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sadowsky Bright Nickel Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vanselus, Dec 19, 2003.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The debut of the NEW SADOWSKY BRIGHT NICKEL strings!
    They're as clear, defined, and even as the Sadowsky steel, but now in a nickel string. For those of you who hate "the zing" and are looking for a more traditional sound, these are the ticket.
    http://www.basstasters.com/strings/sad_brtnik.htm

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    How long do they last? Better slappers than DR Sunbeams?

JB

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I've had great luck with Sad strings on life - they seem to last much longer than my DR's used to. I like how they don't have as much of the initial brightness (ss) too.

I prefer ss for slap and haven't tried sunbeams, so I couldn't tell you. FWIW the clips I recorded with the Sadowsky strings were when they were brand new, so that's as bright as they get.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    The Sadowsky Bright Nickel strings are awesome....I have never played better strings!!!

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Who makes 'em?

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Why do the Sadowsky Nickels sound so much louder than all other strings? It's hard to make a fair comparison. :meh:

7. I just put a set on my Sad PJ/4 last week and like them very well so far. I used to use Sunbeams and they are nice and very piano sounding when new. The Sunbeams last a good long while but one big difference is the beams are round core and the new Sad nicks are hex core. From what I understand the round core has a better chance of lasting longer because of less inner resistance. I don't really know if that's BS or not.... kinda makes sense though. Definatley a different tone/flavor though. JM2cents.

Sad Nicks are nice strings and the felt is gray which just happens to match my silver PJ perfectly too. :rolleyes: I yi yi.....

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    :meh: What's the tonal difference?

9. DR Lowriders are Hex core strings and reported to last long.
    They are slightly compressed and easy on the fingers and frets like the other DR compressed wound strings.

10. Let's see. Like I said the Sunbeams have more of the piano thing going but the Sad Nicks are also very smooth. I just got the Sadowsky PJ so I haven' had the Beams on that bass or the Sadnicks on the other basses, so I guess to hard for me to answer you correctly, sorry. I liked them both and always want to try DR loriders in nickle but it seems like no one ever had them...and I got tired of looking. The Sadnicks are great though, I recommend a tryout.

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    You said that a round core string should last longer than hex core. Meaning that, on paper, the DRs should last longer than the Sadowsky strings, right? Just making sure I understand what you wrote above.

I just ordered a set of 40-100 nickels.

JB

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I read that the strings were co-designed with Richard Cocco, who I assume is the guy who designed R. Cocco strings, but he now works for the company that makes LaBella strings now, so maybe Labella makes them.

13. From what I understand LaBella set up several machines especially for Sadowsky which took longer than expected ,so therefore the reason the strings were not available until just this last month.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have a set of these on my 1975 Ibanez Black Eagle (Think maple board jazz bass with hot pickups) and I like them a lot.

I was previously using Sadowsky Stainless Steel on that bass but I find that the Nickles compliment the passive bass better. Its a nice round tone that still has enough bite and top end to cut through nicely.

Nice strings without a doubt, but I think Ill go with flats on the bass next time.

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I just installed a set on om Sad PJ-4. They sound great! One of the best "B" strings out there!

16. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I've had two sets now and it seems like the E sting is a little weak/wobbly/undefined...has anyone else noticed this? I have them ona Celinder right now and I think they sounded better on a Sadowsky..