1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Sadowsky for 2500$...Which one???Is a sadowsky better than a Yamaha TRB5PII 5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Langueta, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I will buy here
    http://www.basscentral.com/2003/sadowsky.shtml
    In need of a new 5 strings....after posting another thread I decided that I will get quality instead of a fender and a musicman...for the informatrion I got here the sadowsky have more quality than new fenders. As i will buy new I ´want a new bass of the same quality as 70,s fender jazz basses...
    I will give more information so it is more clear.....I need to buy the bass new, cause it is safer because my uncle will buy the instrument in Miami....(I live in Argentina so I can´t try it). In Argenitna we are not very well stocked and we can find some good quality basses like fender jazz bass mia, precision MIA, a used musicman, and almost all the models of warwick. However if I buy in Argentina I have to pay twice the price than in America.
    I have and ergodyne edc 705 and a fender jazz bass fretless made in Mexico. I think it´s time to move to something better..Some of my influences are jaco, nathan, john deacon, richard bona, abe laboriel, louis johnson, james jamerson...
    need a thick sound and the highs you can hear in songs like for example don´t stop me know, or what it takes of aerosmith.A Warm, thick and perhaps punchy sound (for rock and funk, or slap), very melodic (almost piano like)....
    Well I will post some youtube vids so you can tell me wich bass they are playing...the tone I need and the bass style i am into:
    kool and the gang-robert kool bell-year 2000

that´s why I began listening to abraham laboriel, and love his tone....then I heard him playing a yamaha trb playing live...I felt it was the bass for me, in terms of melodic sound, slap sound, and I think it is a good bass not wide nor to narrow for slapping in a 5 string bass..but they told me here it´s price is very high...overpriced for it´s quility...is the sadowsky of better quality???
    so the bass I choose its is the perfect bass for me (now I have the oportunity to buy the bass in the us, pehaps I will have to wait years to have another opportunity)
    Take in account I need tight spacing but one that makes possible to slap confortable...(18 mm would be okay)
    I will buy a gallien krueger 800 rb bass head and a peavey 4x10 cab..
    So to conclude the bass I need is the bass I will play all my life....any type of music (but mainly in a jazz context ), and new
    I expect this information helps...

2. Boss, if you're worried about what's "better" you're not gonna know until you've tried it out first hand. We all have different tastes, hands, etc.

3. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You may already know this, but just to make sure, call them for a complete inventory list. They're website does not have an up-to-date selection.

4. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    :help: in 3 days i have to order

5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Sadowsky.

6. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    which model for the music I play??

7. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Wich has better playabilty......the yamaha or the sadosky????
    Which one is wider??????
    I am looking a bass with 18 mm width at nut more or less....a sadowsky model this wide????

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    For the music you play, and the sound you describe, I would recommend the Yamaha.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If I had to buy a bass sight unseen (or unplayed), I'd go for the Sadowsky without hesitation.

Riis

10. I haven't played the Yamaha but I own a Sadowsky Metro M5-24. It has the same sort of tone as on the Ritenour/Melvin Davis tune and the Steely Dan live Kid Charlemagne. It will give you a crisp modern sound with some "burp" to it. The Sadowsky has wide string spacing, I think its 19 mm. It's a good width for slapping.

And of course Sadowsky quality is excellent.

I believe Tom Barney is using an ESP bass on Kid Charlemagne and Melvin Davis is playing a Ken Smith Design.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just for the record, I own two NYC Sadowskys. They are very fine basses, but their build quality is not any better than my TRB5P-II. In fact, the quality and playability of the Yamaha is just as good as or better than all of my basses, including Lakland, Pedulla, F Bass, MTD, Jerzy Drozd, and Roscoe.

At $2,500, you will be getting a Sadowsky Metro, made in Japan, but still very high quality, just fewer wood and finish options. For smooth jazz, I'd still go with the Yamaha, but a Sadowsky would probably work for you. I don't think the Modern 5-24 Sadowsky will be right tone-wise for your music, but one of the Standard or Vintage models might.

I can't wait to see what you end up with. Good luck!

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I played this bass at Roger's shop about six weeks ago. My, my, what tone. But it'd set you back well over $4K.

[​IMG]

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Also remember, the TRB5P-II is neck-through. The Sadowskys are bolt-on. It makes a difference, but one is not better than the other.

14. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    something seems strange here

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmmmm ... now that you mention it ...

16. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    What are you talking about reaper52?

17. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Some here in talkbass say that the Yamaha is overpriced... , Some posters said that Yamaha and Sadowsky are in different categories. Sadowsky is handmade and hand fitted in a very low production shop (shops.) Yamaha is mass produced. As a result Sadowsky level of fit and finish is better.
    Do you agree with this argument???

18. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Is the trbp2, mass produced, adn sadowskys handmade???????
    this will define my choice.......
    it seems that here, people are not very fond of yamaha.....always they aprecite dingwall, sadowsky and others...

19. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    There is no answer... I have both Sadowsky and TRB6p2. I cannot really say which one is better.

One of the biggest difference is one is bolt-on while another is neck-through. This is HUGE difference. Another difference is one you're looking for is Jazz and another is dual coil one, that's another big difference.

For me, if I have to choose only one, I will go with Yamaha one because TRB's tone seems like more versatile. However, no one can give you the right answer for you. They both are really good.

20. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, at least, Metro Sadowskies are CNC made. And I believe NYC is also CNC made, too.