Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sadowsky Metro MV5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    My one word review:

Stunning.

Okay, okay, I know you want some more detail. :D A very long day yesterday, with lots of "driving". The BQE (Bronx Queens Expressway) sucks! I-95 sucks! But it was all worth it.

I picked up my Metro at Roger's shop. My first impression on my first glance was how gorgeous the '59 burst finish was. I was pleasantly surprised that the pickgaurd was "mint green", instead of the new "parchment white" I'd heard about and seen in pics of other Metros. They're both cool, but I really dig the MG. The next "surprise" was when I picked up the bass, and how light it felt. I haven't weighed it, but it certainly does not feel any heavier than the NYC instruments I've played. I sat down in the showroom, and played the bass initially unplugged. It is absolutely amazing how great this bass sounds acoustically. Frank Robbins (one of Roger's great crew members) asked me my amp preference, and of course I said "Aguilar please!" The Aggie rig in Roger's shop is the DB680/DB728 combo. Look out. Man...Jazz Bass on steriods? What an understatement! Barry Bonds hasn't taken enough steriods in his entire lifetime to make that analogy work! I was just completely crushed by the tone. In a very good way. EQ on the 680 was pretty much flat, and I had the bass and treble boosts on the bass all the way off initially. When I boosted the bass just a hair...OMG! Even a young cat who was in picking up his NYC 24 after a repair was bug-eyed. Now, I'm an "active" kind of guy, but the bass sounds incredibly hot even in passive mode.

The bass was set up to absolute perfection. Played like buttah. The satin finish on the back of the neck is awesome. The bass is perfectly balanced, which became truly apparent when I "strapped up" later that afternoon (at G Guitars in New Haven...lesson and clinic with Gary Willis...look for my post about that in "Bassists" shortly). Fit and finish is flawless. A tight neck joint is yet another understatement.

I new I was going to dig this bass, but quite frankly it has exceeded my expectations. Can't wait to gig with it tonight! I'll fully complete this review after this weekend gigs.

I also picked up an Incase Slim Bag, which is now the Sadowsky gig bag. Very, very nice bag...I highly recommend it. And in typical Roger Sadowsky fashion, they're the same price as Incase sells direct...and I believe they're custom sized to fit Roger's basses perfectly, at least it certainly seems so.

Bravo Roger and the crew in Japan (and Brooklyn)! :D

2. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    What does the bass cost? I was thinking about putting one of his preamps in my MIA jazz.

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
  4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    PICS! PICS! PICS! PLEASE!

Mo`

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Pics will be awhile. I should have asked at Roger's shop if they would take pics...the pics they take are great, and my camera, not to mention my photography skills, sucks. I'll try to get some up this weekend.

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Did you get the VTC option?

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Craig

Congrads on getting one of the finest basses out their today, this bass will give you all the insperation you need to rock. Sounds like we have similar basses dosent it ;) http://sadowsky.com/stock/view/62371.html

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I've done that on both my Deluxe and Standard MIA 5's. Do it, you won't regret it. I haven't gone after another one of Roger's basses because these 2 have worked out so well.

9. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY

How did it change the sound? Im looking for a little bit more of a round bottom sound to match the highs( if that makes any sense)

10. Very nice!!! Love the 'burst look.

Congrats!!
    Jeff

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks Jeff, I told Roger how much everybody's flipping over your bass. ;)

My bass does look very similar to Major Metal's. Although the Tokyo has the full size body (right?), slightly different bridge and is a bit heavier. I'm certain mine isn't much over 9 lbs., if that. I'll have to remember to put it on the scale later.

Well, off to rehearsal, then gig.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes mine has a full size body, did you get rosewood or maple fingerboard Craig ?.

13. Craig G.....

I knew I shoulda bought that bass! Sounds like it couldn't have gone to a better home! Glad you are digging the bass...still think I should have kept her though....OH well....I am loving mine (#4045) just as much but I am gonna have to get another 5 now! the question is Metro or NYC?.....Seems like an easy answer after your review....Enjoy her and I wish you many years of enjoyment!

Peace and Chicken Grease!

T

14. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Ahem ... anyone who knows Craig knows he's a jazzer at heart. :p Congrats on the new bass, brother ... prepare to be assimilated ... and welcome to the Sadowsky family.

15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    MM...mine has a maple board.

Tommixx...thanks again :D . You cannot go wrong with a Metro. It's amazing.

kcdbass...you do know me well ;) . But this "jazzer at heart" was blown away by the tone of my Sadowsky last night when I finally had the chance to play it extensively on a gig. This was a three (!) guitar player rock/blues/and a bit o' funk gig, with a drummer and a percussionist. I of course used my Aguilar DB750 2xGS112 rig. I played my Ken Smith MD7 for the first set...usual killer tone. When I played the Sadowsky for the second set, lots of heads were turning on stage. The guitar player to my immediate right, with whom I gig quite a bit, said "I like that bass already" about half way through the first chorus. Now I've experienced firsthand what so many Sadowsky players have related here on TB about how much a Sadowsky "cuts through" and "fills the stage with great tone". Fat round and punchy. And the slap tone? OMG! I did a slap solo, not something I do very often, and the tops of peoples heads started to come off...mine included.

The Sadowsky certainly won't replace my Smith, especially on the jazz gigs and gigs with my own fusion band, but I'm sure it is going to see lots of use on the rock and R&B gigs. I'm a very happy camper! :hyper:

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    BTW...a special thanks to kcdbass. He's the one most responsible for me buying a Sadowsky. His good natured ribbing about my multi-stringed "furniture basses" aside, his high praise for Roger's basses, along with the absolutely killer tone he gets in the studio with his own Sadowskys, were the determining factors for my purchase.

Thanks Kevin..er..um...kcdbass. :)

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Your TB profile lists that you've owned various Fenders in the past. How does your Sadowsky compare?

18. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Just for the record, kids ... Metro, schmetro ... Craig would sound great playing a K-Mart bass. The man knows what he's doing. But alas, chops that good make the Sadowsky choice just seem so right! :D

19. Wow! That rig with a Sadowsky would be heaven!

20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Craig in turn is the source of my Sadowsky Metro Gass'ing! - Gary