1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new sadowsky metro r5-24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PBFACTOR, Jun 14, 2007.

1. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    she's a beaut. r5-24 alder body, rosewood fret board. 59' burst (it's a little yellower in person).
    initial thoughts are, its a well made bass (not a $2500.00 bass though). it's only marginally better made than my pedulla rapture 5 string ($1500.00 or so). if pedulla made a 24 fret 5 string rapture it would win out (initially).
    sound wise it is worth all the hype it gets, though.
    the tone is well focused and "present". it's not over powering.
    it can be dark or bright. very versatile. finger style, slap and tap all come through well. not too heavy at 9lbs. it came with sadowsky's light case (made well). for $2500.00 you would expect strap locks and other case candy that don't come with the bass.
    i have rehershal tonight and a gig saturday with her and i'll update with more accurate descriptions of the dynamics, sound and playability.

2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Looks good to me...congrats!!

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have a feeling after your first gig your opinion will change, I owned several other basses before I purchased my first Sadowsky. I was not blown away by it until I played with a full band. There good soloed, there GREAT in the mix.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Congrats on a great bass. I have another two weeks before mine comes in.

I had a rapture J2000 5 string, and though I thought it was very well made, there was nothing about it that had a wow factor. I got mine for a steel and got my money out of it, but GC sells them for around 2k. If the M5-24 is anything like my Sad Jazz 5 string, I would say its worth the extra $500.

I have to agree about the strap locks though, they should come with the bass for that kind of coin.

5. +1! Right on man! I bought one of these last year. Mine's black with a clear half pickguard.

Like burk48237 says, get it out there with a full band. That's where its true colors will shine! First song playing it with my band convinced me.

Carlo T.

6. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Beautiful!! Love that color combo!!

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Congrats!!

Rob

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Congrats! That is one sexy Modern!

9. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    there's a sound in my head and it's a sadowsky. sounds like a bass should. crisp, but thick. cut's through the mix. solo, slap, finger groove, it all sounds like it should. when i picture the sound of a bass in my head, this is it.

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    that's awesome!!

11. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Congrats on an awesome Modern!

Cheers,
    Jim

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021