Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sadowsky Metro VS Used Sadowsky NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jun 28, 2004.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Possible scenario: New Sadowsky Metro VS Used Sadowsky NYC

If it's true that playability and tone are the same, then the primary differences between a Metro and a new NYC are:
    - NYC has graphite in the neck
    - NYC comes standard with passive tone
    - Metro may be heavier

However, I find that when comparing a Metro to most used Sadowsky basses, depending on the year made, the physical differences are almost nill. Real-world differences include:
    - Metro will have a warranty
    - NYC has been time-tested
    - NYC may resale for more
    - NYC may not have the spokewheel adjustment
    - NYC may not have the noiseless pups
    - NYC will probably have a nicer top

Assuming both basses are identical (same hardware, electronics, and color, no graphite ) Which would be the better buy?

The Metro's primary competition may only be used Sadowsky NYC basses, vice versa. :eyebrow:

One of each: Metro and NYC.
    The Metro costs $2K new and the NYC is around $2K used.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    A dealer in my area is supposed to be carrying them but they have no clue except to say "we are carrying them."

Have you played one JR ?

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are some hard decisions but i would go with a new Metro, their is nothing like being the first owner of a Sadowsky plus the warranty only goes to the first owner.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

Good point my friend.

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    How true and the reason for this thread. IMO, if the Metro lives up to expectations, it could make life difficult for many J-bass manufactures. I think there are a lot of players "watching" to see how it is accepted and whether it's just a Sadowsky NYC "copy" or "the real thing". FWIW, I've heard extremely positive things about the Sadowsky Tokyo line.

No store-front dealers in this area. A local on-line only dealer, www.Indoorstorm.com, has a Metro for sale. I asked him how it compares to the NYC but his response was inconclusive.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    they're still pricey tho- still gonna be hard for a 2k j bass copy to compete with a 1k copy don't you think ?

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How long have Sadowsky NYCs had graphite rods in the neck? I just noticed that today for the first time, in the press release announcing the Metro series, but I've always thought that Sadowsky bass necks are flatsawn maple, with no graphite.

Recent change? Do both 4- and 5-strings Sads now have graphite bars? Any other changes in the necks (e.g. are they still flatsawn)?

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Either way you go, you will emd up with a great bass.

You've made all the points that I would of mentioned in your original post. Personally, if you're worried about resale value, a second hand NYC will seel for at least what you bought it for where as the Metro will lose some value.

I own one of each in a 4 string. Different basses. My NYC is a MAple/Swamp Ash where as my Metro is a Rosewood/Alder. I like having one of each wood combo. I don't plan to sell either , even thou ( came -->this<--- close to selling my metro to pay some bills.

Either way you go, you're gonna own a great bass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    True, if the Metro comes off as just a "copy" it'll be hardpressed to compete with a USA Fender. But if it's 100% Sadowsky quality/tone, with NO "ifs, ands, or buts", the Metro could rule.

10. MAJOR METAL

Here is my Sadowsky Tokyo http://sadowsky.com/stock/view/62371.html , I play mine live every week with out any problem and i get complements on my tone all the time from non musicans. Really to sum it up " Sadowsky Basses make me Giggle on the inside". :)

11. MAJOR METAL

12. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I would go for the used NYC. The passive tone control is a very nice feature. You would probabaly take less of a loss on the NYC if you decided to resell it than the Metro. Tough choice and you probably couldn't go wrong either way.

13. I certainly doubt that Roger would put his name on and risk his reputation on anything below his standards. I have a Metro on order (with the passive tone option which was extra) that should be here in July and I'm excited to be able to get that Sadowsky sound for two thirds the cost of a NYC model. If the Metros sound anything like the NYC basses I test drove in his shop two years ago we won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
    Jeff

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think if you can play the Sadowsky NYC before buying it (or at least get an approval period), I'd go that route if it is in satisfactory condition and meets your expectations. I just wouldn't want to spend 2k on a used jazz style bass with an issue. Some people are tough on these things.

If that isn't possible, I'd get a Metro -- you've at least got the assurance of a solid neck with good frets and a fresh setup. I don't think they're going to take huge resale hits...but who knows? I just know that the Atelier Z/Moon basses are small-quantity made in japan and don't seem to have lower resale values because of it.

JR, haven't you *had* a Sadowsky NYC before? Did you use the passive tone mod that much...or are you referring to the vintage tone switch? I don't think lacking that would be a big deal breaker for me on the Metro, but maybe for you it would.

If you're worried about resale find a 60's-70's jazz. Vanselus' vintage jazz sounds amazing on basstasters, way better to me than the passive sadowsky.

Will

15. MAJOR METAL

Howdy Jeff, what Metro are you getting?. I second that Roger will not put his name on junk.

16. Hi,

I'm getting the RV5 in Sonic Blue. Can't wait!

Jeff

17. MAJOR METAL

Very nice we will need pics

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    My Metro MV5 is due any day now. :hyper:

A good friend of mine, a fellow bass player and TBer who's opinion I greatly respect, has put to rest my Metro vs. used NYC "dilemma". He owns several NYCs, has played many more, and after checking out the new Metros alongside even more NYCs, his words were "the only difference between a Metro and an NYC is weight. Tone, playability, fit and finish are indistinguishable."

The Metros are about 1 to 1.5 lbs. heavier on average. This is because Japanese ash and alder tend to be heavier than American varieties.

Personally, I'm happy to be getting a new instrument, so I can put my own stank on it. ;)

19. MAJOR METAL

Craig

Congrads on getting your first Sadowsky, why dont you come down to NY on August 8th for our get together. That is some 6 string you have, very nice.

20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd say go with the NYC used. If you decide to sell either for whatever reason, you'd loose less on the NYC than the Metro new. The used Metro pricing really hasn't been established yet, but one can assume that you'd loose some money in depreciation on the Metro when purchased new.