Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sadowsky MIJ Line Debuts at NAMM!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hey kids, almost forgot to post about something that really excited me at NAMM.

Roger Sadowsky has introduced a new line of basses to be built in Japan. It's an expansion to the "Tokyo" basses (actually, I'm sure Roger will clarify if these basses are instead of or in addition to the Tokyos), but these basses will be exactly to spec of the Brooklyn-made instruments. Same materials, electronics, and super quality workmanship, but manufactured in Japan.

Just like the American basses, they will be available in Standard, Vintage and Modern (24 fret) series. The main differences will be that the finish choices are limited, and no fancy tops or custom fingerboards (maple or rosewood only) will be offered.

The Standard Series (RS4, MS4, RS5, MS5) will be available as either 4 or 5 string, choice of alder or ash body, maple or rosewood fingerboards.

The Vintage Series (RV4, MV4, RV5, MV5) has the slightly larger Fender-vintage size bodies, same options as the Standard for body and fingerboards.

The Modern Series (R5-24, M5-24) is the 24 fret, dual soap bar pickup model. These are 5 string only (just like the American model), in either rosewood with and alder body, or maple with an ash body.

The color/finish choices for all models will be:

Natural
    '59 Burst
    Olympic White
    Sonic Blue
    Black
    Lake Placid Blue
    Candy Apple Red
    Corsica Blue Mica
    Transparent White, Blue or Red

Best of all, looks to me like they will be approximately $1000 less than the made-in-Brooklyn basses.

:D

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whoa! Nino's been holding out! Get him!!! (cue mob noise)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :bag:

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I'm sure Nino was sworn to pre-NAMM secrecy.

He wouldn't have told us, even under threat of torture.

Now, if we dangled one of his Sadowskys off the Brooklyn Bridge and said "talk or we'll see if she can swim"...then maybe.

5. Do you have the inner strength to endanger a Sadowsky like that? :D

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Well....of course not. :oops:

And Nino knows this.

I guess we'd just have to dangle Nino himself instead. :D

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm EXTREMELY exited about the expansion of this line as well, and am pleased to say that I'll be bringing these great instruments to the Chicagoland/Midwest area! :D I don't even have info up on my site yet, so it looks like I'm scouping myself here. :) I'll have 5 coming in around late spring/early summer and can't wait to check them out. This will be a great deal for all of those Sadowsky nuts out there who have always wanted one but could never afford the pricetag.

8. This makes more sense :D

9. Sadowsky make the only Jazz basses i like...but i have never been able to justify to myself spending the money on one.(no matter how good they may be)
    I have spent alot of money on instruments in the past and have been dissapointed...so i guess alot of it would be just me being cautious.
    So im really interested in these...i hope that they turn out great, cause i would love to own a Sadowsky.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    To his defense, I asked a few months back if there were plans for a Modern 5 Tokyo bass, and he said they were working on it.

11. Well honestly...alot has to do with cosmetics to begin with(i know, it seems silly) Sadowsky just seems like it jumps out at me and grabs my attention easier.

All the Fender J's i tried and a couple other clones i tried i just couldnt dial in any tones i like.

And another interesting tidbit, i only like 5 string Sadowsky J basses.
    I just think Jazz basses look strange with 4 strings...

Like i said..its mostly all cosmetics involved with my preferances...i know that seems kinda strange...but for me an instrument has to 'look as good as it sounds?'

12. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Just a little more info on my new line. It will be called the Metro Line. Craig got things mostly right in his first post except the Vintage series does NOT have full size bodies. All of the Metros will have my downsized body. Prices will range from $1795 to $2300. As he said---same preamp, pickups, hardware, etc as the NYC basses.

I am not making these in Japan because I want to make a cheap bass
    and I will not be bringing these over by the container load. I am doing this in Japan because I have my own shop there and I have 5 dedicated guys who share the same committment to quality that I do.

Basses will be available in about 4 months and I will set up a network of about 12-15 dealers in the US plus overseas. All quality bass shops---no chains or supermarkets. I of course, will continue to sell direct as well.

Roger Sadowsky

13. Actually, overseas stuff is still a great deal. One of our major current disputes with Japan is over their central bank's manipulation of the yen in order to prop up exports.

Really, the whole problem here is China's refusal to revalue the renminbi to a more sensible level. Something like RMB7/dollar would be a much more realistic exchange rate by purchasing power parity standards, but the People's Bank of China refuses to budge from RMB8.28. The cheap renminbi makes life a whole lot more difficult for the other Far Eastern industrial economies, forcing them to engage in currency manipulation to keep exports (and thus GDP) from tanking.

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks for clearing me up, Roger! I just assumed the "Vintage" was like your ultra-vintage. What is the difference between Standard and Vintage?

I'm excited that the price list you handed me at NAMM is cost to the customer! Now we can buy a true Sadowsky starting at roughly half the cost! Now I'm really impressed.

Folks, pay special attention to how Roger is producing these instruments. I made the mistake of assuming this was sort of an "answer" to what Dan Lakin has done with his Korean Lakland basses. Far from it. Not to take anything away from the Laklands, they're quite good. But these are horses of a different color.

Essentially, it's almost as if Roger cloned himself and his entire Brooklyn operation and sent the clones to Japan.

We're gonna be big winners here, guys and gals. :D

15. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Standard style basses are made without a pickguard and control plate.

Vintage style bass are made with a pickguard and control plate.

Roger

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Are these list prices or actual sale prices?

Peace
    Nick

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Absolutely right! Calling the Metro line an "import" does the line a disservice, in my opinion. Traditionaly, "import" basses from Korea, China, etc. are mass-produced basses made by cheap labor using in expensive, lower-grade materials....woods, hardware, pickups, electronics, etc. That is definately not the case here.

Nick-these are list and sale prices. The pricing policy with the Metro line will be same as with Roger's regular line. The price is THE price. That way, you always know what you're going to pay and it allows the dealer network (guys like me) to stay focused on SERVICE! :D

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats great news.

When I was working in GC I always loved selling Mesa Boogie gear for this exact reason. No price negotiations meant less BS and I got to focus on geting the guy what he wanted rather than worrying about how much he would grind me on the price.

Peace
    Nick

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Oh No, there is a clone of me running around in Japan....

....heaven help us all!!!!!!;)

20. From Staten Island to the Land of the Rising Sun, Nino is....

The Last Samurai Bass Player