New Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eggman, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Well - I had some credit at BassCentral - and recently sold an RV5 - so I decided to use the credit and cash and picked up a new MV4 from Beaver at BassCentral. It is beautiful. Can't wait to get it home and plug it in. :hyper:

This is the first maple board 4 string I have had since my first bass - an early 70s fretless Precision.

Attached Files:

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Too cool. Beaver and the crew are great guys. Play the frets off of it!!!!!!

4. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Plays great - sounds great.

But let me ask you all a question:

This was purchsed as a new bass - when I opened the case I noticed a small ding in the finish of the body - on upper front edge where ones right arm would rest coming over the bass. Its probably 1/8" long and the width of the edge of a dime. Creases the glossy finish but isn't real deep.

So - do I return the bass to BassCentral (48 hour satisfaction guarantee) or what? (I am a bit picky, I know)
  5. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Call Bass Central ASAP & let them know about the problem. You paid for a new instrument, not a shopworn one. Either get your money back, take a replacement bass or negotiate a partial refund on the purchase price in line with the condition of the bass. Whatever you do, do it quickly.
  6. Probably got it in the showroom from some careless dare them....:D .....but seriously, how much do you REALLY like THAT bass????? Options are return it, and get another that you may not like as much, (there ARE differences from bass to bass even with Sadowskys, trust me on this!!) keep it and live with it (it will NOT stay blemish free forever anyway) and see if maybe they will cut you some slack on the price or better yet negotiate a little extra off something else from them down the line. The last option is usually the best for me as I am always buying stuff anyway and usually if they give you a credit it won't be as much as you might get off a bigger ticket item later...Those guys are really easy to deal with and I am certain they will make it right either way..Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

7. I agree with T on this. If you dig it, I would hold onto it.

My brother bought a Les Paul with a small ding in the finish and ended up getting a nice amount taken off of it and he absolutely loves the instrument.
  8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Way cool! I just got my new Sad Metro RV4 yesterday. I'm blown away by this bass! BC is a cool place to deal with. I bought an Eden WT550 and three Aggie cabs from some guy named "Gard" there. He's not there anymore. (I don't know if there's a story behind that or not... ) :D Their reputation speaks for itself. They will make it right. No worries!

9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That bass is just asking fer it! Slap her! Slap her now! :bassist: Afterwards, make sweet love by the fire.
  10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

When she says "no" she really means "yes!"

11. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    In addition to the above (ding in finish) I called and talked to Roger last night and confirmed that the serial number of this bass places it at about 2 years old. (it was supposedly in its case - untouched all this time - and I can not argue that point as there really is no wear on it - other than this small ding) In searching previously sold basses on the Sadowsky site - it appears that similar basses in this serial number range had a retail price $100 less than I paid. I paid current price for an MV4 when BassCentral most likely put it on their books at a lower price.

This transaction started with me buying a DJ4 from BC that arrived with a wiring problem. BC had me call Lakland to try to figure it out. Lakland instructed me to check the wiring and I found one of the pickups was wired wrong. Lakland instructed me on how to resolder the leads. Done - no problems - but I decided that I wasn't wild about a bass that was sent to me defective and that I had to fix. In returning it to BC, I was given credit for the bass - but I had to pay return shipping and was not given credit for their shipping to me. Plus then had to pay shipping on the MV4. Seems like I paid too much shipping for basses that had problems.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    if you bought the bass as a show piece, send it back. If you bought it as an instrument and a tool, and it speaks to you, keep it.

There isn't a violinist around that can get a perfect Strad.
  13. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I hate you eggman.;)

How's it sound through the PAS? Big improvement over your other basses?

I hope the ding issue gets worked out to your satisfaction. That's fine bass, ding or no ding!
  14. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I ran a Wholesale house for 10 years. Pricing changed all the time. We always based cost off of replacement cost, so I wouldn't call them thieves. I'm picky too. I'd send it back if I wasn't happy. I'm about to do the same on another Bass for a different reason but the bottom line is I'm not happy and spend a lot of money.
  15. slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    You've bought a bass, fixed a bass, paid shipping 3 ways and are now looking at a bass that wasn't represented properly and that you may have been overcharged for? Also, I have a hard time believing that this blemish occurred in transport (assuming it was shipped in a case) and an even harder time believing that it wasn't noticed prior to shipping.

Doesn't sound right to me. IMHO Bass Central owes you.

Either way, let us know how you make out.
  16. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I never used the word thieves.
  17. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Haven't gotten it to our rehearsal space - so I haven't heard it with the PAS. Sounds pretty darn good through my Portabass.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hmmm, I'd ask for some money back, or send it back, get the money and buy one from Roger $100 cheaper.
  19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you had bought from Roger you'd have an additional 5 days to think it over too.
  20. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd return it.

Granted, it sounds nice, but how hard is it to find another nice-sounding Sadowsky? :smug:

The fact that it's already dinged when sold as an as-new bass is kind of a turn-off (even though a previous poster was right when he said that it won't remain ding-free forever), and the fact that you might be able to save some money is never a bad thing.