1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SB2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Youngspanion, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I went to Guitarman today and picked up a new SB2 bass. It is finished in pearl white and has a white pearloid PG. Rosewood neck and fairly light neck wood. I'm gonna give a nice tone review tomorrow night after practice.

IT weighs 9 lbs. Beauty. All I need to do is adjust the action fit for comfort and strap it on.. Neck is nice and thin. Not as thin as my Fender Aerodyne but easy to work. Traded in my L2K to Matt to finance this one. G&L has a few of these lying around for $975 new!

The L2K just wasn't for me, tonewise although I did enjoy the tone some times. But I can't wait to listen to this MFD PJ set up.

100_4423-1-1.

2. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Here is a family photo.

100_4426.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    That's beautiful.

I've got one that's black with an ebony fretted board. That white is really nice.

4. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Very nice ..... the white / RW combo is one of my favorites.

Like you, I had an L2K but now have an SB-2. The L2K was a wonderful bass but for me the SB-2 feels and sounds better.

As a former Aerodyne owner, I am sure it is gathering dust already.

5. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    I have that in green. SB2 has now become my main bass over my Lakland 5502. I love my 5502, but the tone is mellow when compared to the rude, in-your-face sound of SB2. It has the modified stacked knobs and I love having the J pickup soloed, with the tone knob on cut all the way. I hear many people use the J pickup knob as complement to the P pickup. But with the J soloed, the sound is so damn down-right dirty and rude that I don't care about the hissing noise.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Congrats! That's gorgeous. Mine's also white/rosewood, but has a tort guard. You really can't go wrong with the SB-2. I'm looking forward to your impressions after its trial by fire. :bassist:

7. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thanks guys.

I used it tonight with the band. I'm very very satisfied. I'm not gonna:hyper: just yet, but I think that this bass is so comfortable. Contrary to my original statement that the bass needed an action adjustment, I couldn't find a reason not to feel completely at home on this bass. Its light weight and did I say comfortable.:)

Tone wise I was happy but I was also lost finding the right tone at times. I kept tweeking knobs on the head but I'm still looking for the right settings. I did feel that the bass was definitely more responsive to my touch. When I played up the neck some, I got the great P flavor that I want. When I played next to the bridge some, I felt that it lost some of that but was not unpleasant at all. Just enjoying the new discoveries here.

I will say this. I would like to try this sucker through a different rig. Something warmer than my Schroeder Mini 112. And something larger too.

Thanks for listening.