1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Schecter Bass Has Low Output?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DumDrummer, May 28, 2007.

1. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    I just picked up a new Shecter Custom 4. The output seems to be quite a bit less than my Fender MIM Pbass. At volumes on my amp where I would be blowing the walls off my room with my pbass, I am just not getting that much on the Schecter. Any ideas? Anyway I can test to see what the output is at with a multi meter or something?

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Check the battery, I think the Customs are active, and a low battery will mean screwy signals.

3. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Changed the batt and the output appears to be the same. How would I go about testing the output of the bass and what SHOULD it approx be at?

4. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It could be the pre-amp is bad.. if so you'd want to return the bass and get another. I don't think Schecter electronics are very good at all.

You'd have to take it to a repair shop to see for sure if the preamp is bad. If you know anything about electronics and wiring you could bypass the preamp internally and set the pickups to go straight to the output jack. If that gives you powerful sound, that would mean the preamp is busted.

5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    could just be you need to adjust your gain on your amp for that particular bass...did it have a low output at the store? some active basses have lower outputs than passive basses....I had a Fender deluxe jazz that had an output of about half what my passive P bass was. I just had to compensate by increasing the gain on the jazz or use my line mixer to accomodate the differences in outputs of whatever 2 basses I may be using at the time.

6. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    It did seem to be a bit low at the store, I just chocked it up to the fact that I was playing on a floor amp that had been sitting in GC for god knows how long.

So there is now way to just hook a multimeter up to see what the output is?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021