Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lousybassist, Feb 12, 2002.

1. I'd like to see the assembly's reaction if someone played this at church...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2002/Blasko-Bass.html

BTW, am I the only one who finds the inlay to be, well, a bit... silly? Will anyone, even satanists, buy that (I know I wouldn't, even if I was a dedicated follower of Crowley)?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Atually, I like it a lot! I play metal, so even that dopey 666 wouldn't be out of place. I'm actually thinkin to myself "If I dropped in a Neck pup, it'd rock!"... Not to mention Schecter puts out a good product. So, hmn...

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it's a pretty decent looking bass... not sexy, but still looks good.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, the '666' bit is a wee bit silly (the headstock is a bit much too). However, it looks like a pretty good ax. Still, I'd just assume buy their Stelletto Elite or Studio. I mean, those axes are neck through, 2 pickups, 35" scale (Satan's bass is 34")and damn, these basses are simply gorgeous.

See for yrself:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/ds_home_fl.htm

Ron

5. It's a beautiful bass, even with that silly '666' inlay.
    I'd buy one...but my mom would send me to hell herself! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

By the way...why the hell is his name Blasko? That's not even gothic or horror rock in any sense...just MHO...:p :oops:

6. I like the shape of schecter bodies a lot.. I don´t like the headstock of this particular bass thought.

The "666" inlay looks really stupid for me. I don´t think many people would buy a bass like this.. Most signature guitars and basses I´ve seen lately from rock or (nu) metal bass players are custom ridiculous and more expensive versions of some standard models. For example fieldy´s prestige soundgear.. Man, If I had the money to buy one of those, I wouldn´t like to have that stupid korn logo on the 12th fret, who would?
    Many of these (nu)metal bass players having their own signature bass are low B freaks that don´t even touch the first 2 or 3 strings.. I think good signature basses are ment to be made under the standards and requirements of good bassists acording to their likes and technique, not their stupid outfit.

7. BLARG!, they ruined that neck with whole 666 and the devil head stock thing. I thought nu-metal was 'out' and poop punk was 'in'. oh well.
    I like Schecter's vintage J bass alot though. Its more comfortable than Fenders cheaper Jazz's because its more sculpted and it has a satin finish.

8. I like the bass, don't like the 666, same goes for the korn bass, I wish they would make those basses without those silly inlays, why not make those basses available with a normal inlay and make the 666/korn inlay a custom option instead of ruining beautyfull basses?

9. guys, its OK

Its not 666, the sign of,,, you know who :(

but infact the number for the emergency services her in the UK

ahhhh,, so off you go,, go on,, get one and play away.

10. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    personally, i feel that schecter went down the crapper right when they started to heavily appeal to goths/satanists. just an opinion, i guess.

11. It's only the Diamond Series stuff that's wierd like that. The US Custom Shop guitars are top of the line, and very classy.

12. i like schecter basses, but this one, i don't know....i would buy it if i have money to burn, just to start a cheesy death metal band, also i like the word "BLARG" that lobster boy said, that was funny...

13. I agree, Schecters will probably be as laughed at in ten years time just as the pointy eighties Jacksons et c are today. And being so heavily targeted at the goth teen market, I can't really like them anymore (not to mention the horrible - both looks-wise, and idea-wise - Daisy Rock stuff). Not even their nice, non goth, models, like the Hellcat. It's against my morals, or something...;)
    And BTW, I've never understood why people make a connection between being a goth and being a satanist, for me the two are miles apart. Goth and Wiccan I might get, if I try hard enough, but not goth and satanist. But then again I've never understood why Marilyn Manson is considered both goth and satanistic, although not necessarily in the same sentence. He's just a clown (but a smart one when it comes to marketing and PR) who shouldn't be taken seriously, or at least not be seen as a threat to "our children", if you ask me. YMMV.

14. So you think these will be shunned as inferior?:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting theory...

15. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I don't understand that myself. But things like that happen, and the world will always be unjust to the minority.

That does SEEM like a decent bass, but yeah, the '666' inlay does turn me off from it.

16. Hopefully not in the long run, but they might in a shorter perspective. Too close a connection with a certain type of music is, in my eyes, not a very smart bussiness strategy, if long term profit and reputation is what you're after, that is (even if parts of the production line is aimed at another market, people are going to judge a company's products by the instruments they see most frequently, in this case the "gothic" ones). But then again, most companies want money now. And lots of it...
    But I'd be surprised to see Laskos or Stilettos being desirable items on the vintage market ten ot twenty years from now.
    I can also say that I'm a bit embarrassed to play a Warwick right now, because of all the nu metal players featured in their ads, and Warwicks in each and every video you see. I don't like nu metal one bit, and I don't want people to connect me with that genre only because i play a typical "nu metal bass".
    And when talking about company image, I would never, ever, even play a Dean thinking of buying it, no matter how nice an instrument it is, just because of the sexist concept of "Dean girls", heavilly featured in ads and at trade shows.
    And yes, I know I'm silly, at least concerning Warwicks.... ;)