New School vs. Old School

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DanGouge, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Old school

21 vote(s)
  2. New school

14 vote(s)
  3. Bit of both schools

41 vote(s)
  4. This is a false dichotomy

17 vote(s)
  5. skool is fer suckers!

13 vote(s)
  1. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I thin it can be argued that you can loosely divide the realm of bass gear into old and new. With that as a premise, I was just wondering how many of you would think of yourselves as old school bassists (4 string Fenders, SVT's, flats, etc.) and how many of you consider yourself new school (7 string Conklins, SWR, active circuits etc.). Are you a bit of both? Is my premise flat-out silly?
  2. deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I use a Fender Precision 4 string and an SVT amp and that's all I will probably ever use, so I guess i'm pure old school.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    To me, there's no "old" or "new", especially since our instrument is just half a century old.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Those categories only exist if you let them.

I'm more a grand unified theory disciple... ;)
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. You look at the incredible age of the Violin, or even the guitar, and you see that the Bass as an instrument is no more than in it's infancy. To, after only 50 years, divide it into classes is rather foolish. Hell, the same goes for guitar, because a lot of the innovations were made right along with bass. This whole "rock" instrument thing (or, the electric strings, and amps instead of the string sections, and drums as opposed to a percussion section) is too young yet to be making calls.

That said, I'm all about the new school baby!
  6. I dropped out of school to be a bass player.

7. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Let's keep the thread on track, M'kay?;)
  9. It never had a track.
  10. Old school. To me, if a bassline cant be done on a quality four string, its not worth doing.

I have respect for any bassist who can use a 6 or 7 string to advantage, but I think its arguable that either basslines or music have improved at all since basses with more strings have become popular.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Generally, I love technology.
    but I would have to say
    the old school Cry-babies and Big-muffs are SWEET
    and Old fender Precisions(I've played a few from the '60s) are really nice too.
    but in the long run I'd take a nice active/passive Fodera through an Ampeg SVT pro 5(or whatever the hell its called :) with one of those fancy digital wahs any day over the most vintage old school bass imaginable(washtub bass perhaps?)
    I also really like old school hip-hop, run DMC, kurtis blow, granmaster flash, beastie boys(pauls boutique is one of the greatest rap albums ever)
    and old elementary school, when they still taught the 4 food groups:)
  12. P-bass through an SVT! Woo-hoo! (well, I'm still working on it. :rolleyes: )
  13. I'm old school with a twist, and with cheap gear.

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  15. I was just glad to find that this wasn't a New School vs. Old School punk rock poll :p

I guess by your definitions I would be new school...or maybe private school? :rolleyes:
  16. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i'm a "bit of both". i have a '66 p-bass that i play through a SWR. :)
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    If they were old school, wouldn't that make 'em rotten?;)
  18. Old School because of $$ - currently play 4-p/j Fender MIM. Ampeg B100-R combo. If I had money I would sound total New School like Anthony Jackson with a big ol' Conklin Single cut-away.

One can dream...