1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Schuster bass for me!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by junglebike, Feb 29, 2008.

1. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I just pulled the trigger on this bad boy I found on my local craigslist of all places. This will be my second SoCal Schuster bass (sold my last when I moved back east). I got her for $2000 cash. Very pretty with a sweet tone that I'm sure will get sweeter with non-ancient strings and a decent setup. It felt very familiar after all the time I'd spent with my previous bass. It had a similar tone - not a cannon, but I expect that like my last bass it will amplify very well and not feed back much.

The bass says "Made in Germany" so I know it's not that old. The owner mentioned something about Wilfer possibly being involved in its manufacture, but I wasn't clear on that.

It really needed a setup and new strings, so I brought it straight to Lemur for the full monty fingerboard dressing, etc. Made the same mistake I always do when I'm there and started playing the 15k+ basses which are, uh, better than mine will ever be!

Can't wait to get her back and start playing again! I've been bassless for six months now and am itching to find whatever scene exists here in Orange County -- please PM me if you know of anything!

2. wendell

wendell

Jun 6, 2007
    Cleveland
    Wow, beautiful bass. I would love to find something like that in my local craigslist. I hope it sounds as nice as it looks.

3. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    That's a good looking bass. Probably can't keep your hands off her!

4. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Congratulations on your bass. I bought a Schuster from the Ft. Worth Craigslist in October 07. It's said to be made in 1962. It's probably the bottom of the line - laminate, non ebony fret board. I put D'adario hybred strings on it because it's used for pizz and arco. It's not the loudest bass, but the tone is mellow and blends well with the other instruements. I'm new to the bass and wasn't intending to play until I put my hands on this one. It plays so easily. Experienced players have said it is a nice bass, and I hope that's the truth.

I'd like to hear anything you know about the Anton Schuster basses. I can't seem to find very much.

5. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Well I got her back from Lemur in great shape and have been playing her every chance I get! Great instrument for the price -- really nice growly sustain.

Now I need to find a teacher -- anyone know a good one in SoCal (I'm in South Orange County)?