Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Seal! Woop!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The new Seal CD comes out in two days! Yes! It's going to look great next to my Slipknot CDs (not kidding).

Human Being was such a great album; it's one ofthe most musically satisfying CDs I've bought in the past few years, along with David Bowie's Heathen. Fantastic songwriting, great bass lines, and amazing production. And it was completely overlooked. No big singles, and it didn't sell nearly as well as his previous stuff, even though it was lightyears better. He even had to cancel his tour due to slow ticket sales. Sad, sad.

Go buy this album. Don't make me come down there.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Thanks for the heads up - I'm waiting on it now, too. Definitely one of the finest pop artists out there, regardless of the numbers he does saleswise.

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I picked it up today. Let me say that this CD is much different than any of his previous stuff. It's much funkier, and kind of makes me think of old school R&B. I don't think I like it as much as Human Being, but I think this CD will be more succesful, as it is far less subtle. More uptempo stuff, and isn't as reliant on studio trickery as Human Being.

The bass lines are much more upfront, too, and much funkier.

I'm not sure if I like it or not. I had such high expectations after Human Being, which this is really nothing like. I guess a few more listens will tell.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i couldn't find any album credits on the web. who are some of the musicians that recorded on the album?

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    To each his own, but I would STRONGLY disagree with the notion that Human Being (or, for that matter, much else mainstream-wise in the last 12 years) is better than Seal's first CD. That one is basically impossible for him to eclipse, IMHO.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I felt that way for a long time. Then I relistened to the second one with open ears. Now I think all 3 are pretty equal in strength (yes the first is still my fav ;) ).

I can't wait to hear this outing.

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I stand alone in liking Human Being the best. I find this to be similar to my adoration of NIN's The Fragile, easily his best album. Most people disagree, and that's fine. Human Being is pretty dark, and the songwriting is much more subtle than the rest of his stuff. That and the beautiful production does it for me every time.

This one doesn't sound like any of the previous. Lots of Motown, disco, and gospel influence here.

There's the usual suspects on this CD. Earl Harvin (my favorite drummer, ever!), Chris Bruce , Mark Batson, Trevor Horn, Jamie Muhoberac, and Gus Isidore.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    To me the 2nd one is better, overall, than either the first one or Human Being. It got played so much that its brilliance may have gotten dulled a bit through familiarity, however.

So there you have it, three albums, three different preferences!;)

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't have any Seal albums, though I've thought about giving Seal a listen. I can't actually recall many of his songs - I do remember "Crazy" (is that what it was called?), and I might remember others from that era if I heard them again.

And I love "Kiss From A Rose" (is that on a Seal album, or just the Batman film soundtrack?).

How many albums has he done/what are they called/which should I check out?

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    He's only done three--well, four now, with this new one--and I can say that the first three at least are all worthwhile. I'm sure the new one is good too, I just don't have it yet.

The first one is called Seal, and so is the second one. Human Being is the third.

"Kiss From A Rose" is from the 2nd album (the one I like best so far).

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah ok. Well I'll definitely check out those three, thanks ;)

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You might want to check out Seal IV as well. It's starting to grow on me. I think the first listen suffered from my expectations of it. It's starting to become pretty good. I love CDs that grow on you, rather than the ones that are awesome at first and suck after a few listens.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Just picked up Seal IV today. I already like it quite a bit, and I think I'll like it more with more listens.

So far, though, the 2nd one is still my favorite.

14. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I haven't bought the new album, but I saw Seal at Sushi Samba in downtown Manhattan on Friday night. That dude is tall!

15. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

You actually saw him? Wow, that'd be way too cool.

For all who haven't found out yet, there's a greatest hits CD coming out. It's basically those songs, but they're all acoustic-type versions. Not truly acoustic, but changed to sound like it, with some electronic stuff mixed in. I like the bass lines.
    http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/seal/804091/album.jhtml?_requestid=327285
    On an ongoing note.......

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TABS WHATSOEVER FOR SEAL SONGS? Not KFAR that's out there, but truly accurate ones? Thanks.

Matt