Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sensor / Sovtek

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I am sure some of you have read my rants on the troubles I've had rebuilding my 70's SVT. Today, the place I purchased my Sovtek KT-88's from (fliptops.com, VERY cool people!) confirmed what my tech had told me, that one of the tubes sent a ground to the #4 pin, instead of the #1 pin. In lay terms, this sent 300+ volts into the bottom metal ring on the tube, which is mounted to the chassis using a metal clip. Immediately upon firing it up, it sent all of that voltage directly into the amp chassis, immediately frying the amp.

Best case scenario, I have to buy a $270 power transformer that was definitely fried. Worst case.....who knows. Anything could be toast after that shock, and we wont have any idea where things stand until a new transformer is installed to further access the situation.

New sensor offered me a new set of power tubes (WOW, since these has less than a second on them before the amp went up in smoke!), and told me "sorry about your luck" on all the stuff their defective tube fried.

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, but I feel that since their defective product directly damaged my gear, they should be responsible for the damages. That's not their opinion.

I went with these tubes upon the high reccomendation of someone who definitely knows their stuff, but after this I am not sure I want to deal with them at all.

Oh well, buyer beware.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    http://ebassist.com/vb3/images/smilies/***.gif[​IMG]

Well, now i'm DEFINATELY not buying any Sovtek tubes. I have an extreme dislike for their preamp tubes, but I'd heard that the KT-88s were good. Not going there, now.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Seems to me that they endangered you as well. Obviously Sovtek is responsible.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree with you TIm. I'd be saddling up for a fight if I were you. I'd also be looking for a nice sounding SS amp :)

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    As much as I'd like to, what are the odds of me getting ANYWHERE with this? The best thing I figured I could do is tell everyone buyer beware.

I have an ashdown mag 300 that has been getting me by (great little amp!), but I also have about 2 grand into 300 watts of pure tube whoop ass that I can't use. Ever GAS hard for something you already own? lol

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    PS, here is a copy of the emails I got regarding it..

Tim,
    I've got a call in to the returns dept. at New Sensor ( Sovtek). Pin 4 is somehow connected to the outside of the tube and that isn't the way it's supposed to be, it should be pin 1. I should hear back from them today. I'll let you know.

Tim,
    Just got off the phone with New Sensor returns dept. They will replace the set of tubes. I explained the tranny situation to them but they said they don't cover that in their warranty. You are welcome to call them yourself and see if you can get anywhere with them. The replacement set of tubes will be in shortly. Hopefully only the power resistors smoked. I'm sorry you 've had such bad luck with getting this amp up and ready.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Personally, I would file in small claims court to cover the cost of repairing your amp. Do you think they will actually send anyone to contest it? If they don't, you win by default and you will have a court order for them to pay you.

I'm no legal expert but its just a thought!

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This is what I think you should do, as well. It's time to nail some ass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Then once you get the funds, you can get a vintage SVT head that actually works.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Can I actually do this? Do you think giving someone a call on the phone would be worthwhile? If I did go that route, odds are I'd be out the cost of the repair AND the $ to file a small claims suit. If I did go that route, I'd have to wait until it is complete to make sure all of the damage is uncovered ahead of time, since it seems unknown at this point.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So, sue them for the cost of the legal fees, as well as the cost of having your tech diagnose all the problems!!! Chances are, they aren't going to show up, and even if they do, it's obvious their product ruined your amp. Go get 'em, tiger!

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    From what I understand, yes. You will have to have your amp fixed first (your $), save all receipts, and save all correspondence with the techs and the manufacturer.

Even if it cost you a grand to fix your amp, odds are they would rather just pay you than pay the even higher cost of attorney(s).

IIRC, there are a couple of lawyers here at TB, maybe they can jump in here and guide you a better than I can.

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Did you try to contact New Sensor directly? Polite persistents usually pays off. What if that grounding problem KILLED you? sounds like it could have & they at least need to aknowledge that fact

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Tim, you have PM, bud.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Tom, you rule ;)

15. You might try calling New Sensor yourself before taking legal action....;) They've done right by us since we've been dealing with them.

...And yes, I'd be livid if this happened to me, but I'd certainly try calling them in a diplomatic way first.

Good luck with it.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yep, I'd say call them (not email) and explain to them very politely that there product caused damage to your head and endangered your well being. Express concern over future incidents hurting people. Then ask them how they would like to reimburse you for the damage their faulty product has caused.

Of course if Tom gave differing advice follow that. He's a lawyer, and I'm some okie who likes to hear himself type.......

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm surprised anything remotely connected to Mike Matthews would be this bad. I believe a phone call is in order.

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'll take care of the phone call tomorrow, but I don't expect to get any further than fliptops did (see above). I'm fully prepared to eat this if nescessary, I just really hope I don't have to.

20. I had a string of bad luck with their LPS 12ax7 went through about a dozen.