1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New set of Cobalts - which bass should I put them on?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steamthief, Jul 26, 2012.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    A new set of Cobalts arrived today - yay! Which bass would better complimented by these strings - passive Fender P/J or active Spector Euro 4LX?

2. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    I've used those strings before, they have a real bite to them and have a super crisp tone. Put them on my stingray and I had to actually roll off a bit of the treble when I did some slap and pop lines!
    What pickups are in the Spector?

3. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    they work great on my Aerodyne which is P/J!!

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    EMG P/J set, Tonepump preamp.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    What did you use prior to the Cobalts? Love my Precision Special with the current set of Rotos.

6. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Nice, that Spector will sound pretty bright with that combo, but it should sound pretty good!!

7. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I used DR Black Beauties, which I also absolutely loved. I have also used Roto Flatwounds recently as well.

You know us bass players, since we aren't the lead guitarist, the least we can do (besides hold the band direction together) is to chase the tone. Chasing the Tone is my life's quest at this point and I refuse to be satisfied!!

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Wow. Cobalts are going to be the total opposite of Black Beauties as far as brightness and tension. Put them wherever you want tighter tension and ultra bright sound. Probably the P/J.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Oh bugger. Ive just brought a set of Cobalt's to replace my very much loved Dr BB's. Im not adverse to change (obviously) but are they really that different?

10. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
    My gut says that Cobalts + EMG + TonePump = Grand Piano with rabies... which could be what you're looking for. I use Sunbeams on my Euro for the softer tension and smoother sound, but I'd put those on the passive P/J.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Spot on about the tone. Although I did love the fell they just weren't in the same class as the DR's, and Whiel I did like the tone I missed my DR's too much.
    Glad I tried them though.