Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Set Of Fivers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rb26nate, Apr 3, 2005.

1. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    I need to change strings very soon. I am looking for a set that has a good jazz/slap tone. I also want them to have the low B and E strings not sloppy. Thats the problem i have with these stock strings. I don't want to pay more than 50$ but i wanna get a very good set. I have only played with nickel strings and i am also wondering the pros/cons of steels. please give me some opinions on what strings would best fit this, for best sound and playability. thanks and God bless :hyper:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels have great E and B because they're taperwound. They'll give a little more sustain IMO. Steels tend to be a tad brighet, which is good for some jazz and slap, once again IMO, and you can get a 5 string set for around $28 if you show around I believe.

3. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    well i have never played steels. Is it gonna be a big change or harder to play? I've heard they sound better and last longer