1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Set Of Fivers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rb26nate, Apr 3, 2005.

1. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    I need to change strings very soon. I am looking for a set that has a good jazz/slap tone. I also want them to have the low B and E strings not sloppy. Thats the problem i have with these stock strings. I don't want to pay more than 50$ but i wanna get a very good set. I have only played with nickel strings and i am also wondering the pros/cons of steels. please give me some opinions on what strings would best fit this, for best sound and playability. thanks and God bless :hyper:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels have great E and B because they're taperwound. They'll give a little more sustain IMO. Steels tend to be a tad brighet, which is good for some jazz and slap, once again IMO, and you can get a 5 string set for around $28 if you show around I believe.

3. rb26nate

rb26nate

Mar 8, 2005
    ohio
    well i have never played steels. Is it gonna be a big change or harder to play? I've heard they sound better and last longer