Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New setup for Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PKLehner, Feb 8, 2005.

1. PKLehner

PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Alright I know this might be in the danger of being way too overdone and talked about too much, but I did a search and came up with SO many relevant topics, that they weren't very helpful. AKA, Mod feel free to delete this.

Alright, I have right now a stock J-bass. I'm a little unhappy with the basic electronics and would like to upgrade pickups and throw in a new active electronics system. I have a slight case of G.A.S. and think I could manage to do something without spending $2500 on a new setup. Any recommendations on pickup and electronics combos? Specifically looking for setups that people know work well together.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    True, this is overdone.. :)

But... what don´t you like about your sound now and What are you looking for?

3. PKLehner

PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
    What I'm really looking for is range. Right now my bass essentially has only about 2-3 really different tones that I can zero in. I'd like to have an active electronics with a full eq, possibly parametric mids. I play a wide variety of music, and right now I'm using an ADA preamp which lets me have a lot of different eq settings that I can switch between real quick, but I'd also like something that I can do that from the bass.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The J-Retro from John East is the preamp that will fit in your cavity with least amount of effort
    http://www.j-retro.co.uk/
    Others can fit, but can require routing assuming you have a stock J bass with pickguard. The J-Retro has the fully parameteric mids.

As to the pickups, there's no one answer. There really aren't any bad pickups out there in the aftermarket range, but there are probably many that won't get you the sound you're looking for. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what type of sounds you need for the music you're playing - punk? jazz? thrash? polka??? ;)
    And even then, it's still down to personal taste.
    I'd suggest reading Smash's excellent J pickup review thread, as well as luknfur's - I believe both are linked to in the pickups faq. Narrow down the list of pickups from both those threads.
    One thing: I would suggest only changing one item at a time - either pickups or preamp. If you change both and love the result, that's great. But if you change both at the same time and you don't love the result, it's hard to know where the issue is.

5. PKLehner

PKLehner

Feb 8, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I really like what I see about the J-Retro, and I think I might get one of those. Now my only question is if I'm going to get it, should I get the regulaor J-Retro, or the deluxe which the only difference I can tell is the Deluxe has a tone knob for passive mode. But for the deluxe I think I'd have to drill a new hole for the input. Where as with the regular I wouldn't have to do that. Anyone have an idea?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, if you have a regular front jack jazz then you can't install the deluxe without routing a side jack.