Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New setup help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by takenoprisoners, Nov 10, 2005.

1. takenoprisoners

takenoprisoners

Nov 10, 2005
    Hey guys,

Ive been playing bass properly for about a year now and mucking around on them for a few more. When I started playing properly I went out and bought a Squire J-Bass and little Fender Rumble 15 bass amp, just a little starter pack to get me going. I really havent been able to put the thing down, just love playing it :)
    But ever since I started playing bass Ive had my eye on an Epiphone Thunderbird and now I have the chance to get one! If that is I pass my exams :meh:
    Although Im dead set on buying the Thunderbird Im not sure what kind of amp I should set my sights at getting. The kind of tone Im after is one similar to Cliff Burton's bass in 'Kill em All' but I have no idea on bass amps and what kind is best for me. I wondered if anyone would be able to give me advice on what amp would be best for my use. Im in a small metal band, I mostly play with a pick and itd be good to have a transportable bass that gives a nice enough sound so I could take it to jams or concerts (if that ever happens). Price wise I dont want something thats gonna cost an arm and a leg because thats what my bass is going to do, but Im not overly concerned on price limitations.

I was also wondering how to get the best out of my current setup. If Im aiming towards that Cliff Burton tone on 'Kill em All' what should my Bass, Mid and Treble be set around?

Thanks very much for any help,
    Rob

2. Firstly, read the sticky threads, 2nd read the sticky threads, etc etc. Other than that I have nothing to contribute.

3. takenoprisoners

takenoprisoners

Nov 10, 2005
    I wasnt sure where to put it but because I was looking for tips on settings of my bass too I put it here.