Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Dec 31, 2001.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Will this setup be able to compete with a Mesa fullstack?
    Kern preamp
    Carvin DCM 1500(1500watts)poweramp
    Acme 4x10

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I would have to say no. I dont think a single 4x10 all by itself will be pushing enough air to compete with a Mesa Boogie full stack. If you get a second 410 or a 1x15 or 1x18, then you should be in business. 1500 watts should be enough headroom though.

But even with a 6000 watt poweramp, your rig is only as strong as your cabinet. If the thing only handles 400 watts@ 8ohms, then 400 watts is what you're gonna hear!! I would invest in another cab. Or tell the guitarist to turn his volume down (prepare to be laughed at)

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    your best bet is to sell your acme and get a better cabinet that projects sound.
    Acme's are nice sounding cabs at low volumes but do not throw the sound well at all!!

The kern is a nice peice you need to keep up the quality in the amp and cab to match.

As for amps you might look at crest or carver.
    and for cabinets, well there are only 2! EPIFANI & Bergantino

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    What type of music do you play and how loud? If your answer is rock/metal/something of the like, then I say no. The Acme cabs suck up alot of power, so they're quite inefficient, plus they don't put out the SPL or volume you'd need.

I was in the same predicament, also was looking at the Kern preamp. Its a nice preamp with the 10 meg ohm input and 3 tubes and all that fancy stuff. Definitely check it out.

I also got a Carvin poweramp, a DCM2000 to be exact. Its got power, features, and a good price. Very good poweramp.

My only problem is the Acme cabs have the claim to fame of putting out on the low B. I'm sure they do, but not at the volume I would need. My solution to you is to check out SWR Goliath, Eden 410XLT, or BagEnd cabinets.

Thats my word. Other tips of advice I give to you is have more power than you need to power the cabinets and to go try out everything rather than take the opinion of someone else into your direct decision to purchase something. Good luck!

edit: old to only :p

5. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I compete with 2 mesa full stacks in one band ... and a mesa halfstack and a fender twin(same guitar player... both at the same time)

I had use my old Ashdown Mag 400 as a slave with my Ampeg 3pro ... (2x15, and a 3x12 cab)... in the other band i get away easily with the 3 pro and the 3x12

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks for the info and tips! What 3x12 did you have(company) Psobecke.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    first of all...why in gods name does a guitar player need EIGHT 12" speakers?!?! i'd politely (or...maybe not so politely) ask him to only use one of his cabs. both the guitar players i play with use solid state 2x12's (line6 ax212 and fender ultimate chorus) and both are PLENTY loud.

so...assuming it doesn't go so well, i'd look into a goliath SR (6x10 + tweeter with 1kw handling). that will definitely keep up. or a goliath 3 with a big ben (18")

jason

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    fast slapper

The only company I know making a 312 is epifani. I've never heard of anyone else.

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Brian thanks for the replies on the Berg 2x12 and Epifani 2x12.

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I would guess that they do it for the tone. There's nothing quite like a Mesa full stack being cranked up... what a sweet distortion

Not as sweet as a bass stack though :cool:

11. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Right on, brotha. :cool:

12. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Warwick5S is absolutly right, if your guitarist cared about the sound in your band, he'd only use on of his cabinets. Full-stack's are mainly for looks, there's no way a guitarist actually needs that many speakers. A half-stack should do fine.