New shape for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by J. Brunka, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    These basses are made by the Jisheng Co in China. Jisheng has a whole family of bowed string instruments with the same body design - don´t know what it´s like to play this bass, but I must admit I think it looks cool, sort of like a Henry Moore sculpture.

I have seen the electric violins and celli but this is my first sighting of the EUB.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Yeah, Henry Moore by way of George Jetson. Interesting.
  3. looks, well, interesting, but I have to say, what is the point of this instrument?

It appears to be not significantly smaller or easier to carry than a "real" bass, and can't possibly produce a real bass sound. As an EUB, it might be fine to play and make a decent sound, but does the Calder cum Hanna Barbera look really justify the transport hassle over a more conventional EUB ?

Maybe I have answered my own question. It's probably great for one of those silly, glitzy classical/pop crossover acts like "bond" . To each his own, I suppose.
  4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    mmm... "Bond" :rollno:

It would be nice to see them have an Ashle (sp?) Simpson style CD glitch. They've gotten pretty good at playing to the tape, but the bows totally give it away.