Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Shop Started WooHoo!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hambone, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Finally, after nearly 3 years of planning and procrastinating, we've started the construction of a new shop for the primary purpose of building basses. It's a modest 16' x 20' with an 11' peak but it's the largest dedicated shop space I've had on my own. Today the foundation piers, floor and perimeter joists, and decking were completed. The contractor says that it should be done by Friday.

For those TB'ers that have been to the homestead, I've placed the new building next to the large open shed to maximize it's utility. The BBQ pit is gone.

The new building will allow the purchase of some new tools and give some organization to my various processes and stages of construction. It will also help me increase productivity. Then, hopefully, this will lead to a more commercial operation in the future.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    cool! i gotta custom shop hammy special in the que...w00t!

hey, that's really awesome, man. sounds like a dream come true. i'm glad it came together for ya.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    seriously i think i wanna be one of the first commisions!

5. Thanx guys...

I'll get some pics up as soon as there's really something to see. It looks like some sort of really large flat board right now.

Neptoon, while you've been thinking about a creation from the Hambone collection, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm sure we'll be talking in the future.;)

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good deal Hambone!

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

hooyah :D

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That's excellent Hambone.

What type of services are going to offer?
    Custom basses, repairs, finishes?

9. thats terrific man,I wish you and your business a bright future:)

Good Luck!:)

-Noj:oops:

10. Hey cool stuff hambone...

So considering i am your sidekick that means i get a deal right...

RIGHT!!

:p

:D:D

Merls

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    THE BBQ Pit is GONE?!?!?!:eek: :D

I have some fond beer butt chicken memories of that Pit, but if it means you'll have enough room to breath, then that is cool. The last place you were using made me claustrophobic--I can only imagine the effect it had on getting work done in there.

I just moved down the road from you off of Pleasant Hill Road, so I'll have to swing out after we're settled and check out the progress.

Congrats, Hambone!

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Congrats on your new workshop! Hope it works out well.....how about deals for overseas customers.....:)

Say....what woods you planning to work with for bodies/necks??

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Good deal Hammy! :D

...although, like bassmonkeee, I will miss the BBQ grill and beer-butt chicken...

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Lookin' forward to seein' the Hammy special at the Orl/BC GTG! :)

14. I'm sorry, I've apparently left the wrong impression with you folks. Let me assure you that wherever Hambone is there will be BBQ also!! The demise of the pit under the shed has only cleared the decks for another pit - larger - and with an attached smokehouse. I've sorta been getting the layout straight in my mind before starting to build.

The sacred bond between Man, Fire, and Meat will always be held in high regard around here.

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ah....Coooooool. BBQ Pit Mach 2.0 sounds good to me!

16. Yes to all, however the finishes will probably be limited to what I build. There are so many really good finishers out there that learning the ropes and setting up an operation won't give the return.

As for woods - I'm really limited in my production, so I won't be using large quantities of anything but as of right now I use Maple, Walnut, Ash, Basswood, Rosewood, Poplar, Mahogany, Cherry, and Red Cedar. I'll branch out into more exotic stuff as is needed.

17. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Way to go Hammy. Best of luck to ya! :cool:

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

i woulda guessed that...and jason, be careful what you say. hammy'll be crackin' the whip on yo' monkeee ass to finish his shop and the new BBQ pit :D

19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You know the phrase, "You can't get blood from a turnip?"

I think it applies to Monkeees and finishing construction jobs pretty well. :bassist: